Dec 23, 2013, 1:00 AM EDT
Patrick Roy is one intense coach. We’ve seen it this year, in his rookie campaign as a National Hockey League bench boss.
One San Jose Sharks player – defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic – got a first-hand experience with Roy as his coach, during their days together with the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL.
“He coaches like he played … He’s intense,” Vlasic told the San Jose Mercury News.
“If you work, he’ll reward you … He doesn’t like laziness. I saw it for three years. If you worked hard and were there every day, he would reward you with ice time, power play, things like that. Days off.”
The Sharks host the Colorado Avalanche on Monday night.
Roy’s presence as a world class, Hall-of-Fame goalie was felt most nights during the hockey season when he was playing for the Montreal Canadiens and then the Colorado Avalanche.
As a coach, well, he thrust himself onto the scene in Colorado’s first game of the season, and his first behind the bench for an NHL team.
But with Roy behind the bench, the Avalanche, after finishing dead last in the Western Conference in the 2013 lockout-shortened season, are third in the Central Division with a 23-10-2 record, and eight points back of the first-place Chicago Blackhawks.
- Report: Lightning prospect Jonathan Drouin out with upper body injury 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)