Dec 23, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
Patrick Roy is one intense coach. We’ve seen it this year, in his rookie campaign as a National Hockey League bench boss.
One San Jose Sharks player – defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic – got a first-hand experience with Roy as his coach, during their days together with the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL.
“He coaches like he played … He’s intense,” Vlasic told the San Jose Mercury News.
“If you work, he’ll reward you … He doesn’t like laziness. I saw it for three years. If you worked hard and were there every day, he would reward you with ice time, power play, things like that. Days off.”
The Sharks host the Colorado Avalanche on Monday night.
Roy’s presence as a world class, Hall-of-Fame goalie was felt most nights during the hockey season when he was playing for the Montreal Canadiens and then the Colorado Avalanche.
As a coach, well, he thrust himself onto the scene in Colorado’s first game of the season, and his first behind the bench for an NHL team.
But with Roy behind the bench, the Avalanche, after finishing dead last in the Western Conference in the 2013 lockout-shortened season, are third in the Central Division with a 23-10-2 record, and eight points back of the first-place Chicago Blackhawks.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)