Dec 23, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
Patrick Roy is one intense coach. We’ve seen it this year, in his rookie campaign as a National Hockey League bench boss.
One San Jose Sharks player – defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic – got a first-hand experience with Roy as his coach, during their days together with the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL.
“He coaches like he played … He’s intense,” Vlasic told the San Jose Mercury News.
“If you work, he’ll reward you … He doesn’t like laziness. I saw it for three years. If you worked hard and were there every day, he would reward you with ice time, power play, things like that. Days off.”
The Sharks host the Colorado Avalanche on Monday night.
Roy’s presence as a world class, Hall-of-Fame goalie was felt most nights during the hockey season when he was playing for the Montreal Canadiens and then the Colorado Avalanche.
As a coach, well, he thrust himself onto the scene in Colorado’s first game of the season, and his first behind the bench for an NHL team.
But with Roy behind the bench, the Avalanche, after finishing dead last in the Western Conference in the 2013 lockout-shortened season, are third in the Central Division with a 23-10-2 record, and eight points back of the first-place Chicago Blackhawks.
- Report: Connolly suffers broken finger in Bruins practice 1
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 9
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)