Dec 23, 2013, 1:00 AM EDT
Patrick Roy is one intense coach. We’ve seen it this year, in his rookie campaign as a National Hockey League bench boss.
One San Jose Sharks player – defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic – got a first-hand experience with Roy as his coach, during their days together with the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL.
“He coaches like he played … He’s intense,” Vlasic told the San Jose Mercury News.
“If you work, he’ll reward you … He doesn’t like laziness. I saw it for three years. If you worked hard and were there every day, he would reward you with ice time, power play, things like that. Days off.”
The Sharks host the Colorado Avalanche on Monday night.
Roy’s presence as a world class, Hall-of-Fame goalie was felt most nights during the hockey season when he was playing for the Montreal Canadiens and then the Colorado Avalanche.
As a coach, well, he thrust himself onto the scene in Colorado’s first game of the season, and his first behind the bench for an NHL team.
But with Roy behind the bench, the Avalanche, after finishing dead last in the Western Conference in the 2013 lockout-shortened season, are third in the Central Division with a 23-10-2 record, and eight points back of the first-place Chicago Blackhawks.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)