Dec 23, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
“You can tell that confidence is shaken right now with individuals and as a group. When they scored the first goal, we tightened up a little bit. When they scored the second goal, we tightened up completely.”
That was Minnesota coach Mike Yeo after yesterday’s 4-1 loss to the Rangers, per Michael Russo of the Star Tribune. Since starting the season 15-5-4, the Wild are 5-8-1 and have fallen out of a playoff spot in the tough Western Conference.
If you think there’s anything to possession stats like Corsi and Fenwick (hint: there definitely is), this is what the Wild’s chart looks like, per Extra Skater:
And when a team’s giving up 30-plus shots a night and its goalie is doing this, that’s not a good formula for success.
“When things aren’t going well, when you put yourself in a hole, it’s hard to get out of it when goals have been tough to come by and just overall not feeling good about the way we’ve been playing,” forward Zack Parise said, per the Star Tribune.
For Wild fans hoping for a second postseason appearance, an even more disturbing chart may be this one, courtesy Sports Club Stats:
Minnesota is in action again tonight (on NBCSN) versus the Flyers in Philadelphia.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 31
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 66
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 25
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51