Dec 23, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
“You can tell that confidence is shaken right now with individuals and as a group. When they scored the first goal, we tightened up a little bit. When they scored the second goal, we tightened up completely.”
That was Minnesota coach Mike Yeo after yesterday’s 4-1 loss to the Rangers, per Michael Russo of the Star Tribune. Since starting the season 15-5-4, the Wild are 5-8-1 and have fallen out of a playoff spot in the tough Western Conference.
If you think there’s anything to possession stats like Corsi and Fenwick (hint: there definitely is), this is what the Wild’s chart looks like, per Extra Skater:
And when a team’s giving up 30-plus shots a night and its goalie is doing this, that’s not a good formula for success.
“When things aren’t going well, when you put yourself in a hole, it’s hard to get out of it when goals have been tough to come by and just overall not feeling good about the way we’ve been playing,” forward Zack Parise said, per the Star Tribune.
For Wild fans hoping for a second postseason appearance, an even more disturbing chart may be this one, courtesy Sports Club Stats:
Minnesota is in action again tonight (on NBCSN) versus the Flyers in Philadelphia.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 5
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 7
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 15
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 47
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)