Dec 23, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
It’s no secret that the New York Rangers haven’t even come close to living up to expectations this season. With nearly half the campaign in the books, Rangers GM Glen Sather is trying to make a trade to spark his club, according to league executives that talked to the Ottawa Sun.
It’s believed that Sather is willing to entertain offers involving just about any player not named Chris Kreider, Rick Nash, or Henrik Lundqvist. On top of that, he’s reportedly been shopping defensemen Dan Girardi and Michael Del Zotto.
The fact that Sather would like to trade Del Zotto is hardly a shock. Rangers coach Alain Vigneault hasn’t been impressed by the offensive defenseman and has made him a healthy scratch on multiple occasions.
At the same time, the blueliner is just 23 years old and recorded 13 goals and 62 points in 123 contests over the previous two campaigns. He also comes with a reasonable $2.55 million cap hit and is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer, so there should be a market for him.
Senators GM Bryan Murray has reportedly shown interest in Del Zotto, but Murray isn’t in a position to increase the team’s payroll, so the Rangers would have to be willing to help keep the deal balanced financially.
Girardi being mentioned is a bit more surprising when you consider how heavily the Rangers have leaned on the 29-year-old defenseman in recent years. At the same time, he is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and is likely to demand a sizable raise over his current annual cap hit of roughly $3.3 million.
Of course, the NHL is currently in the midst of the holiday roster freeze, so the Rangers can’t do anything in the near term.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)