Dec 23, 2013, 8:46 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the Philadelphia Flyers host the Minnesota Wild at the Wells Fargo Center at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
We’re approaching the halfway point of the 2013-14 campaign and neither of these teams can be terribly happy with how things have gone so far, but they’re also far from hopeless.
Philadelphia in particular might be on the brink of an upswing as their offense, which has been a big concern for much of the season, has picked up lately.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $2,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Monday’s NHL games. It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $400. Starts Monday at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Flyers have recorded at least three goals in each of their last four games. Forwards Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek have played a big part in the team’s offensive resurgence with their six and seven game point streaks respectively. Now that Vincent Lecavalier has returned from a back injury, they are becoming a very challenging team to contain.
To make matters more difficult for the Wild, Josh Harding is currently unavailable. He’s been one of the best goaltenders this season despite everything he’s had to overcome, but he needed some time off while he adjusts his treatment for Multiple Sclerosis.
That leaves the Wild with Niklas Backstrom, who has struggled mightily this season and has lost his last six starts, or 21-year-old Johan Gustafsson, who hasn’t made his NHL debut.
So the stage seems to be set for the Flyers to find the back of the net regularly tonight, but even if that proves to be the case, the Wild can’t be ruled out. That’s not so much thanks to anything Minnesota has been doing right — they rank 29th in the league with an average of 2.16 goals per game — but because of the Flyers own shortcomings.
Even as their offense has heated up, Flyers goaltender Steve Mason has taken a step back with a 3.23 GAA and .890 save percentage in eight contests this month. On the one hand, a game against the Wild might be just what Mason needs to break out of his slump, but the reverse might be true and Mason might prove to be the man that helps Minnesota snap its slump.
After all these squads have already endured, this is their chance to go into the break on a positive note. Otherwise their worries will be left to fester over the Christmas break.
Mar 13, 2014, 1:47 AM EDT
Memorable moment for him.
Mar 13, 2014, 1:32 AM EDT
Two teams separated by 34 points in the standings.
Mar 13, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
Mar 13, 2014, 12:27 AM EDT
There’s a new No. 2 seed in the Central Division.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:52 PM EDT
No call on the play.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
The climb gets a little steeper.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
Mar 12, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Mar 12, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Closing in on career-high in points in first season with Edmonton.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
In his 36th game of the season.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
This is a beauty.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Hockey’s most historic Original Six rivalry.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:14 PM EDT
Spirited start in Winnipeg.
Mar 12, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
Out with a high ankle sprain since Dec. 21.
Mar 12, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Mar 12, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Had nice weather in Boca, though.
Mar 12, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
“We have numbers, but we’re not ready to give them out.”
Mar 12, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Still unknown whether he’ll be able to play hockey again.
Mar 12, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
During the first intermission of the Canadiens-Bruins game.
Mar 12, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
Yet another boarding suspension in the NHL.
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 3
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 15
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)