Dec 23, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Suffice to say, it won’t be quite as emotional a return as Jarome Iginla experienced recently. When all was said and done, Bouwmeester’s 279-game stint in Calgary was deemed a disappointment, the smooth-skating defenseman with the big contract failing to help the Flames to a playoff spot in the three full seasons he spent with them.
Now signed long-term in St. Louis, Bouwmeester isn’t saddled with the same expectations he had upon joining Calgary after six seasons with the Panthers. On the Blues, the quiet 30-year-old gets to play more of a supporting role alongside Norris candidate Alex Pietrangelo. The two may actually end up paired for Team Canada at the upcoming Sochi Olympics.
“I’ve kind of done it before with Florida,” Bouwmeester said when asked about his return to Calgary, per NHL.com. “Once you’ve been through it, it kind of is what it is. It’s nice to see a lot of people, familiar faces, guys that work for the team, that sort of thing. It’s been three years and a bit here. You make a lot of friendships.”
With three goals and 21 assists, Bouwmeester is on pace for a career-high 56 points.
Tonight is also his 800th career regular-season game in the NHL.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54