Dec 23, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Suffice to say, it won’t be quite as emotional a return as Jarome Iginla experienced recently. When all was said and done, Bouwmeester’s 279-game stint in Calgary was deemed a disappointment, the smooth-skating defenseman with the big contract failing to help the Flames to a playoff spot in the three full seasons he spent with them.
Now signed long-term in St. Louis, Bouwmeester isn’t saddled with the same expectations he had upon joining Calgary after six seasons with the Panthers. On the Blues, the quiet 30-year-old gets to play more of a supporting role alongside Norris candidate Alex Pietrangelo. The two may actually end up paired for Team Canada at the upcoming Sochi Olympics.
“I’ve kind of done it before with Florida,” Bouwmeester said when asked about his return to Calgary, per NHL.com. “Once you’ve been through it, it kind of is what it is. It’s nice to see a lot of people, familiar faces, guys that work for the team, that sort of thing. It’s been three years and a bit here. You make a lot of friendships.”
With three goals and 21 assists, Bouwmeester is on pace for a career-high 56 points.
Tonight is also his 800th career regular-season game in the NHL.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 4
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)