Dec 23, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Suffice to say, it won’t be quite as emotional a return as Jarome Iginla experienced recently. When all was said and done, Bouwmeester’s 279-game stint in Calgary was deemed a disappointment, the smooth-skating defenseman with the big contract failing to help the Flames to a playoff spot in the three full seasons he spent with them.
Now signed long-term in St. Louis, Bouwmeester isn’t saddled with the same expectations he had upon joining Calgary after six seasons with the Panthers. On the Blues, the quiet 30-year-old gets to play more of a supporting role alongside Norris candidate Alex Pietrangelo. The two may actually end up paired for Team Canada at the upcoming Sochi Olympics.
“I’ve kind of done it before with Florida,” Bouwmeester said when asked about his return to Calgary, per NHL.com. “Once you’ve been through it, it kind of is what it is. It’s nice to see a lot of people, familiar faces, guys that work for the team, that sort of thing. It’s been three years and a bit here. You make a lot of friendships.”
With three goals and 21 assists, Bouwmeester is on pace for a career-high 56 points.
Tonight is also his 800th career regular-season game in the NHL.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 10
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)