Dec 23, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
Hertl, 20, was injured on a hit from Los Angeles captain Dustin Brown last week and initial reports (including one from Hertl’s father) suggested the first-year forward would miss a month of action while recovering.
Now, it appears that timetable will be longer.
Wilson said the club expects Hertl to be sidelined longer than a month, but won’t have a definitive schedule until after the surgery. On Saturday, the Sharks GM stopped short of saying Hertl suffered ligament damage and/or tears, but did say surgery was in the cards.
“There are a couple of different things we’re looking at,” Wilson said, per the San Jose Mercury News. “I think the MRI shows something, and probably going in at some point will probably reveal the rest.”
San Jose’s first-round pick (17th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Hertl is tops among first-year players in goals (15) and points (25). He was averaging 15:19 TOI per game prior to getting hurt and had a plus-11 rating.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)