Dec 23, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
Hertl, 20, was injured on a hit from Los Angeles captain Dustin Brown last week and initial reports (including one from Hertl’s father) suggested the first-year forward would miss a month of action while recovering.
Now, it appears that timetable will be longer.
Wilson said the club expects Hertl to be sidelined longer than a month, but won’t have a definitive schedule until after the surgery. On Saturday, the Sharks GM stopped short of saying Hertl suffered ligament damage and/or tears, but did say surgery was in the cards.
“There are a couple of different things we’re looking at,” Wilson said, per the San Jose Mercury News. “I think the MRI shows something, and probably going in at some point will probably reveal the rest.”
San Jose’s first-round pick (17th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Hertl is tops among first-year players in goals (15) and points (25). He was averaging 15:19 TOI per game prior to getting hurt and had a plus-11 rating.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 6
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 15
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)