Dec 23, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
Hertl, 20, was injured on a hit from Los Angeles captain Dustin Brown last week and initial reports (including one from Hertl’s father) suggested the first-year forward would miss a month of action while recovering.
Now, it appears that timetable will be longer.
Wilson said the club expects Hertl to be sidelined longer than a month, but won’t have a definitive schedule until after the surgery. On Saturday, the Sharks GM stopped short of saying Hertl suffered ligament damage and/or tears, but did say surgery was in the cards.
“There are a couple of different things we’re looking at,” Wilson said, per the San Jose Mercury News. “I think the MRI shows something, and probably going in at some point will probably reveal the rest.”
San Jose’s first-round pick (17th overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Hertl is tops among first-year players in goals (15) and points (25). He was averaging 15:19 TOI per game prior to getting hurt and had a plus-11 rating.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)