Dec 23, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Today, Jim Nill provided a more accurate timeline.
Nill said Gonchar would miss the next 7-10 days with concussion symptoms, according to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News. The veteran rearguard won’t play against the Kings tonight — journeyman Max Fortunus will draw in — and it seems unlikely Gonchar will be ready for Dallas’ upcoming home games on Friday against Nashville and on Sunday against St. Louis.
Gonchar’s campaign hasn’t been great — he has no goals and 12 points in 35 games, with a minus-5 rating — but he does average over 19 minutes per night and is one of Dallas’ few veteran presences on the back end. Fellow vets Trevor Daley and Stephane Robidas are currently out injured, leaving a lot of the heavy lifting to the likes of 23-year-old Brenden Dillon.
Speaking of the Stars (and Heika), there’s a pretty good piece on the team in today’s Morning News, where Nill talks about building the Dallas organization in the “Detroit Way.” You can read it here.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63