Dec 23, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
Today, Jim Nill provided a more accurate timeline.
Nill said Gonchar would miss the next 7-10 days with concussion symptoms, according to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News. The veteran rearguard won’t play against the Kings tonight — journeyman Max Fortunus will draw in — and it seems unlikely Gonchar will be ready for Dallas’ upcoming home games on Friday against Nashville and on Sunday against St. Louis.
Gonchar’s campaign hasn’t been great — he has no goals and 12 points in 35 games, with a minus-5 rating — but he does average over 19 minutes per night and is one of Dallas’ few veteran presences on the back end. Fellow vets Trevor Daley and Stephane Robidas are currently out injured, leaving a lot of the heavy lifting to the likes of 23-year-old Brenden Dillon.
Speaking of the Stars (and Heika), there’s a pretty good piece on the team in today’s Morning News, where Nill talks about building the Dallas organization in the “Detroit Way.” You can read it here.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)