Dec 23, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Today, Jim Nill provided a more accurate timeline.
Nill said Gonchar would miss the next 7-10 days with concussion symptoms, according to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News. The veteran rearguard won’t play against the Kings tonight — journeyman Max Fortunus will draw in — and it seems unlikely Gonchar will be ready for Dallas’ upcoming home games on Friday against Nashville and on Sunday against St. Louis.
Gonchar’s campaign hasn’t been great — he has no goals and 12 points in 35 games, with a minus-5 rating — but he does average over 19 minutes per night and is one of Dallas’ few veteran presences on the back end. Fellow vets Trevor Daley and Stephane Robidas are currently out injured, leaving a lot of the heavy lifting to the likes of 23-year-old Brenden Dillon.
Speaking of the Stars (and Heika), there’s a pretty good piece on the team in today’s Morning News, where Nill talks about building the Dallas organization in the “Detroit Way.” You can read it here.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)