Dec 22, 2013, 8:49 PM EST
Matt Cooke, with a reputation for being a nasty, dirty hockey player, delivered a thunderous body check Sunday night.
Cooke caught New York Rangers’ left-winger Mats Zuccarello with a big hit near the end boards just after Zuccarello had reversed the puck behind the net late in the first period.
Zuccarello bounced right back up to his feet, while Rangers’ defenseman John Moore jumped in to confront Cooke.
The only penalties handed out on the play were to Moore for roughing and Minnesota’s Kyle Brodziak for unsportsmanlike conduct.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (68)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)