Dec 22, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Sergei Gonchar‘s departure from the Dallas Stars’ 3-2 shootout loss to the San Jose Sharks could leave them without another defenseman for an extended period.
Gonchar left the game in the second period with what was initially called an upper-body injury. Stars coach Lindy Ruff updated his situation after the game as Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News shared.
“He’s all right,” said Ruff of Gonchar. “He took a puck to the face and isn’t feeling well, so he has to stay out for a while probably.”
That’s not exactly descriptive, but the Stars are already shorthanded on the blue line. Trevor Daley (sprained ankle) and Stephane Robidas (broken leg) are two members of their top-four on defense who are out and now Gonchar makes three.
At least Gonchar’s injury doesn’t sound too bad at the moment. As we’ve seen in the past, however, things can change.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 15
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)