Dec 22, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo left Sunday’s game against the Winnipeg Jets, however his status over a longer term remains unknown at this point.
Luongo left the game late in the first period and went to the dressing room, but did not return. Back-up netminder Eddie Lack finished off the night, recording the win as the Canucks defeated the Jets 2-1 at Rogers Arena.
According to numerous reports out of Vancouver, Luongo, 34, suffered a lower-body injury and is day-to-day, as per head coach John Tortorella.
There had been talk earlier in the evening that perhaps Luongo had suffered a groin injury, although that was not confirmed afterward. He’s dealt with those types of injuries before in his career, missing 24 games in the 2008-09 season.
This development calls into question not only the goaltending plans of the Canucks, but also Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team.
Luongo was the winning goalie when Canada claimed gold at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, and was in the running to be on the 2014 squad in Sochi.
With Luongo out, the Canucks turned to 25-year-old Lack, who is in his first NHL season. He so far has a record of 6-2-0 in 11 games, to go along with a .928 save percentage and 1.93 goals-against average.
“If it’s Lack that plays for us while Lu is down, we’re very confident in his play,” said Tortorella, as per the team’s Twitter account.
The Canucks don’t play again for seven days, when they’re on the road to face the Calgary Flames. The Canucks have enjoyed a December to remember, with nine wins in 11 games this month.
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 0
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 9
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 11
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4