Dec 22, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo left Sunday’s game against the Winnipeg Jets, however his status over a longer term remains unknown at this point.
Luongo left the game late in the first period and went to the dressing room, but did not return. Back-up netminder Eddie Lack finished off the night, recording the win as the Canucks defeated the Jets 2-1 at Rogers Arena.
According to numerous reports out of Vancouver, Luongo, 34, suffered a lower-body injury and is day-to-day, as per head coach John Tortorella.
There had been talk earlier in the evening that perhaps Luongo had suffered a groin injury, although that was not confirmed afterward. He’s dealt with those types of injuries before in his career, missing 24 games in the 2008-09 season.
This development calls into question not only the goaltending plans of the Canucks, but also Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team.
Luongo was the winning goalie when Canada claimed gold at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, and was in the running to be on the 2014 squad in Sochi.
With Luongo out, the Canucks turned to 25-year-old Lack, who is in his first NHL season. He so far has a record of 6-2-0 in 11 games, to go along with a .928 save percentage and 1.93 goals-against average.
“If it’s Lack that plays for us while Lu is down, we’re very confident in his play,” said Tortorella, as per the team’s Twitter account.
The Canucks don’t play again for seven days, when they’re on the road to face the Calgary Flames. The Canucks have enjoyed a December to remember, with nine wins in 11 games this month.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 9
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 6
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 28
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)