Dec 22, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Larry Brooks of the New York Post shares a rumor in his Sunday column that qualifies as curious.
Brooks says the Montreal Canadiens are getting calls on forward Max Pacioretty and both the New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers are “taking serious runs at him.”
Pacioretty being mentioned at all in this light is fascinating because he’s on a cap-friendly deal that sees him get $4.5 million per season through 2018-19. Pacioretty also leads the Habs in goals scored with 15 and he’s missed nine games this season. He’s also led Montreal in scoring the past two seasons.
While all of those traits would make for great reasons why teams would want to pick him up, it doesn’t make a world of sense for Montreal to do it.
Ideally, Pacioretty is the kind of player Montreal GM Marc Bergevin would love to have around, but Brooks says coach Michel Therrien isn’t a big fan of his.
Teams will always call to find out about a player’s availability, but if there’s anything at all to this chatter, the reaction in Montreal won’t be positive.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)