Dec 22, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Larry Brooks of the New York Post shares a rumor in his Sunday column that qualifies as curious.
Brooks says the Montreal Canadiens are getting calls on forward Max Pacioretty and both the New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers are “taking serious runs at him.”
Pacioretty being mentioned at all in this light is fascinating because he’s on a cap-friendly deal that sees him get $4.5 million per season through 2018-19. Pacioretty also leads the Habs in goals scored with 15 and he’s missed nine games this season. He’s also led Montreal in scoring the past two seasons.
While all of those traits would make for great reasons why teams would want to pick him up, it doesn’t make a world of sense for Montreal to do it.
Ideally, Pacioretty is the kind of player Montreal GM Marc Bergevin would love to have around, but Brooks says coach Michel Therrien isn’t a big fan of his.
Teams will always call to find out about a player’s availability, but if there’s anything at all to this chatter, the reaction in Montreal won’t be positive.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)