Reimer unhappy after being pulled against Red Wings

Dec 22, 2013, 10:40 AM EST

Pavel Datsyuk; James Reimer; John-Michael Liles AP

TORONTO — Toronto Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer wasn’t pleased with his performance in their 5-4 shootout loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday.

Reimer was pulled after the first period when he gave up three goals on 12 shots and his team down 3-1. Jonathan Bernier relieved him and gave up one goal on 25 shots before losing in the shootout. After the game, Reimer vented some frustration.

“I don’t know if there’s a goaltender in the league that’s happy when they get pulled,” Reimer said.

When asked if he wanted to stay in an battle through it, Reimer said he wanted to do that.

“You want that chance to get in there and fight and battle for your teammates and try and get a win,” he said. “But obviously Randy [Carlyle] had other thoughts, and he’s the coach and he’s the one who makes those decisions. I just try and stop pucks.”

Carlyle was asked about his thought process behind switching out Reimer for Bernier and while he didn’t put Reimer down, he was critical of the goals he allowed.

“I thought the rebounds were bouncing away from him,” Carlyle said. “When a goaltender is in the zone, pucks usually don’t go through him, and their third goal went through him. I felt that the wrap-around goal was a stoppable wrap-around and his stick was extended and it hit the heel of his stick and went in the net.  … So I made the decision if we got through the period that I was going to put Bernier in.”

Reimer allowed goals to Pavel Datsyuk, Joakim Andersson, and a spin-o-rama-like backhand by Tomas Jurco. The Leafs play again on Monday on the road against the Rangers. Reimer’s start last night was his third in a row. Perhaps Bernier gets the call once again.

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith

Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST

Logan Couture Getty Images

Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.

2. If you want to call the Sharks ‘fragile,’ Todd McLellan won’t disagree

Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST

Antti Niemi, Logan Couture, Brenden Dillon, Darren Helm AP

Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.

3. Trade target Calvert (concussion) out indefinitely, says Columbus

Feb 27, 2015, 1:35 PM EST

MattCalvert

Could it keep him from getting moved by Monday?

4. Slumping Ducks hoping visit from Kings brings out some emotion

Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST

Los Angeles Kings v Anaheim Ducks - Game Five Getty Images

“If we can’t get up emotionally for that game, then I think we have to take a deeper look at ourselves.”

5. Wild waive veteran forward Veillieux

Feb 27, 2015, 12:13 PM EST

Veilleux Getty Images

Has appeared in 12 games for Minnesota this season.

6. Sabres GM Murray: I got a trade call on a player ‘I never thought I would get’

Feb 27, 2015, 11:39 AM EST

Tim Murray

“He actually said, ‘Can you believe I’m calling you on this guy?’ And I said, ‘No, I can’t. But let’s talk.”

7. Flames lose captain Giordano for key tilt versus Isles

Feb 27, 2015, 11:13 AM EST

giordanogetty Getty Images

Norris candidate will sit after getting injured during Wednesday’s win over New Jersey; Tyler Wotherspoon has been recalled from AHL Adirondack.

Trade deadline storylines to watch
Top 10 NHL Player Searches