Dec 22, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
Reimer was pulled after the first period when he gave up three goals on 12 shots and his team down 3-1. Jonathan Bernier relieved him and gave up one goal on 25 shots before losing in the shootout. After the game, Reimer vented some frustration.
“I don’t know if there’s a goaltender in the league that’s happy when they get pulled,” Reimer said.
When asked if he wanted to stay in an battle through it, Reimer said he wanted to do that.
“You want that chance to get in there and fight and battle for your teammates and try and get a win,” he said. “But obviously Randy [Carlyle] had other thoughts, and he’s the coach and he’s the one who makes those decisions. I just try and stop pucks.”
Carlyle was asked about his thought process behind switching out Reimer for Bernier and while he didn’t put Reimer down, he was critical of the goals he allowed.
“I thought the rebounds were bouncing away from him,” Carlyle said. “When a goaltender is in the zone, pucks usually don’t go through him, and their third goal went through him. I felt that the wrap-around goal was a stoppable wrap-around and his stick was extended and it hit the heel of his stick and went in the net. … So I made the decision if we got through the period that I was going to put Bernier in.”
Reimer allowed goals to Pavel Datsyuk, Joakim Andersson, and a spin-o-rama-like backhand by Tomas Jurco. The Leafs play again on Monday on the road against the Rangers. Reimer’s start last night was his third in a row. Perhaps Bernier gets the call once again.
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 29
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)