Dec 22, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
Reimer was pulled after the first period when he gave up three goals on 12 shots and his team down 3-1. Jonathan Bernier relieved him and gave up one goal on 25 shots before losing in the shootout. After the game, Reimer vented some frustration.
“I don’t know if there’s a goaltender in the league that’s happy when they get pulled,” Reimer said.
When asked if he wanted to stay in an battle through it, Reimer said he wanted to do that.
“You want that chance to get in there and fight and battle for your teammates and try and get a win,” he said. “But obviously Randy [Carlyle] had other thoughts, and he’s the coach and he’s the one who makes those decisions. I just try and stop pucks.”
Carlyle was asked about his thought process behind switching out Reimer for Bernier and while he didn’t put Reimer down, he was critical of the goals he allowed.
“I thought the rebounds were bouncing away from him,” Carlyle said. “When a goaltender is in the zone, pucks usually don’t go through him, and their third goal went through him. I felt that the wrap-around goal was a stoppable wrap-around and his stick was extended and it hit the heel of his stick and went in the net. … So I made the decision if we got through the period that I was going to put Bernier in.”
Reimer allowed goals to Pavel Datsyuk, Joakim Andersson, and a spin-o-rama-like backhand by Tomas Jurco. The Leafs play again on Monday on the road against the Rangers. Reimer’s start last night was his third in a row. Perhaps Bernier gets the call once again.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (42)