Dec 22, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
It’s a familiar scenario with National Hockey League teams throughout the course of a lengthy regular season and into the playoffs.
When players go down with injuries, it offers others a chance to step in and make their own impact on a team. Such is the case with the Detroit Red Wings.
On Saturday, in a shootout win over the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Red Wings got contributions from a pair of call-ups from the Grand Rapids Griffins in the American Hockey League.
Riley Sheahan, Detroit’s first-round pick in 2010, had a pair of assists and Tomas Jurco, the club’s second-round pick from 2011, had a goal and an assist.
“And then getting some offense, the last games, helps. We’ve just got to keep going here, one more game before Christmas, and then hopefully we’ll get some bodies back.”
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 4
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9