Dec 22, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers have been on the outside looking in at the playoff picture all season. After going 3-1-0 on their recent road trip through Canada, they’re headed home for a five-game homestand and feeling good about themselves as they sit 10 points back of Detroit in the Atlantic Division.
As Harvey Fialkov of The Sun-Sentinel shares, the team is looking at their upcoming run of home games as critical to their hopes of getting into the playoff race.
“Getting a good road trip means nothing if you don’t have a good homestand,” Panthers forward Shawn Matthias said after practice Sunday morning. “It makes or breaks your season. We’ve had a few good weeks; now we got to take advantage of it.”
Going beyond their road trip, the Panthers have won seven of their last nine and, unsurprisingly, their wins have come in games where they’ve limited opponents to either one or two goals. With Tim Thomas out that means Jakob Markstrom and Scott Clemmensen have done their part to hold things down.
If the Panthers can find a way to improve on their 7-7-3 home record, things just might get more interesting in the Atlantic.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)