Dec 22, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
Mikael Granlund, who has dealt with concussion issues causing him to miss the last 11 games, will return to the Minnesota Wild lineup Sunday against the New York Rangers.
“We’ll be realistic with our expectations, but I think there’s no better way of getting right back in there than to throw him back into the fire,” Wild head coach Mike Yeo told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune prior to puck drop.
Earlier this month, the 21-year-old Granlund was essentially shut down as he continued to struggle in his recovery from a concussion on Nov. 27.
“I just know that we’re not making progress, and so what we’re doing right now, we have to take a different approach,” Yeo said at the time.
In his sophomore season with the Wild, Granlund has two goals and 12 points in 24 games.
The Wild are coming off a 5-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Thursday.
Updated: Granlund was given the second assist on Jason Pominville‘s opening goal at 4:08 of the first period.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)