Dec 22, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
Dallas Stars defenseman Sergei Gonchar won’t return against the San Jose Sharks on Saturday after suffering an upper-body injury, according to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News.
(Observers note that upper-body injury might actually mean taking a puck to the face.)
It’s a shame for the 39-year-old, as Gonchar seemed like he was just starting to turn around his game lately. Eight of his 12 points have come in the last eight games before Saturday, including a stretch of six points over three contests.
No word on the severity of the injury just yet.
Update: San Jose ended up winning 3-2 via a shootout.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 3
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 11
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)