Dec 22, 2013, 12:44 AM EDT
Dallas Stars defenseman Sergei Gonchar won’t return against the San Jose Sharks on Saturday after suffering an upper-body injury, according to Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News.
(Observers note that upper-body injury might actually mean taking a puck to the face.)
It’s a shame for the 39-year-old, as Gonchar seemed like he was just starting to turn around his game lately. Eight of his 12 points have come in the last eight games before Saturday, including a stretch of six points over three contests.
No word on the severity of the injury just yet.
Update: San Jose ended up winning 3-2 via a shootout.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)