Dec 22, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Last night, the Edmonton Oilers lost their sixth straight game, a 6-0 shutout loss to the St. Louis Blues.
For a team that’s lost a lot this season, seeing the streak run to six games is a new low. The Oilers have had three separate five-game losing skids, but this is the first time a streak has gone past that and for first year head coach Dallas Eakins he’s had about enough of it.
“I’ve had enough misery already,” Eakins said. “There has to be a change in the commitment level and accountability.”
Any rookie coach dealing with a losing situation is going to find things difficult, but the issues with the Oilers are something else. If this keeps up, we’re all going to wind up feeling real bad for the guy, especially since the talent level of the team shows that they should be much better than this.
Yet here we are looking at the likelihood of the Oilers missing the playoffs for the eighth season in a row.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 21
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)