Eakins: ‘I’ve had enough misery already’

Dec 22, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT

Dallas Eakins Getty Images

Last night, the Edmonton Oilers lost their sixth straight game, a 6-0 shutout loss to the St. Louis Blues.

For a team that’s lost a lot this season, seeing the streak run to six games is a new low. The Oilers have had three separate five-game losing skids, but this is the first time a streak has gone past that and for first year head coach Dallas Eakins he’s had about enough of it.

“I’ve had enough misery already,” Eakins said. “There has to be a change in the commitment level and accountability.”

Any rookie coach dealing with a losing situation is going to find things difficult, but the issues with the Oilers are something else. If this keeps up, we’re all going to wind up feeling real bad for the guy, especially since the talent level of the team shows that they should be much better than this.

Yet here we are looking at the likelihood of the Oilers missing the playoffs for the eighth season in a row.

1. scionofflame - Dec 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM

You have to wonder where the problem is with this team. They’ve got so many talented pieces, yet they never seem to find success. Coaching changes? They do nothing. Roster changes? Nothing yet. Is it management? I really don’t think so!

I’m waiting to see what it takes to get this Oilers club up off their backsides and into the game again. Something has to give eventually, and it certainly shouldn’t be Dallas Eakins getting moved out of the picture again.

• ravenscaps48 - Dec 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

No Goaltending. No Defense. No Coaching

• 950003cups - Dec 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM

It’s none of the above. They have a group of talent, but not an actual team. It’s, for the most part designed to be a “me first” team. That’s how it’s structured. They compete more with eachother than against the other teams.

• ron05342 - Dec 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM

@ 950003 cups

Finally agree with you for once. Couldn’t have said it better.

The Kings announcers said they basically have a very talented team, but all the same type of player, they just don’t have the “mix” of players that makes them a team that contend. They need to trade some of that talent for a better mix before they become competitive.

• gmailfan57 - Dec 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Anybody who takes this job has got to take the long view. I was surprised to see them go out and add Yakupov to an already top heavy offensive roster but I wouldn’t go trading prospects for veterans. I recommend staying the course. Use the free agent market (if you must) and for the love of god start drafting stay-at-home defensemen. I definitely would not send Eberle to Philadelphia.

2. drez146 - Dec 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Scion,

I agree at some point the onus has to b on the players, the leadership group in the locker room needs to start holding players accountable for there play, but maybe that’s the problem the team is so young and really doesn’t have a group of veterans that have had success and know what it takes to win

3. steelers88 - Dec 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Eakins needs to just shutup. If you are so miserable in your current job then get OUT! You have a young team their still learning and growing their is going to be some growing pains. I guess you don’t get that. Why don’t you have some patience.

• speedstickmusk - Dec 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

they’re (they are) and there… if you’re going to write, at least demonstrate some knowledge of spelling/grammar…

• blackhawksdynasty - Dec 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM

@speed:

THANK YOU!!!!!

The awful grammar on pht is embarrassing. Just goes to show how many idiots are out there. I kind of feel sorry for them. It’ll potentially prevent then from landing successful careers, and it makes me worry about our future generations. Sadly, rather than learning something, they’re more likely to admonish you for correcting them.

Sometimes they’re just downright hilarious. My favorite came just a couple of days ago. Some fool wrote something about the “earth spinning off its AXES”
        When I joked about it, he responded with “get a life d-bag” as if I’m the moron.

Still makes me chuckle when I think about it….

• blackhawksdynasty - Dec 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

***thumbs down coming from the perpetual lifelong burger flippers, no doubt***

• charlieconway96 - Dec 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM

@hawksdynasty

The “Axes” comment a few days ago sent me through a full range of emotion. Laughter, tears, depression.

• scionofflame - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM

How long can you use the excuse that they’re young players? The core has been there for several years. If they aren’t ready, they need to scamper down to the AHL. At some point you have to hold your players accountable.

• metalization1 - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Wow, that was painful to read.

• nigelben - Dec 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM

you have no clue, this team has been rebuilding for the last 7 years and are no better now than they were whenit all started. Kevin ” I think I know a think or 2 about winning” Lowe is the laughing stock of the league and sadly there is no bright future for the team. THe fan who threw his jersey on the ice last night vs St Louis expressed his displeasure and I have a feeling there may be more to follow

4. jacketsfan7 - Dec 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I think what they need to do is compare the 2006 Edmonton oilers to this years team

5. bruinpred - Dec 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Issue is they have too many of the same type of player but many have so much upside that it’s hard to figure out who to move and who to keep.

• micasa81 - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Exactly. Also, most people underestimate how difficult it is to pry free a solid young stud d-man, let alone the 2 that the Oilers need.

6. steelers88 - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I think what Edmonton should have done was they should have drafted defense first. It always better to have a good defense than a good offense. Defense wins championships.

• micasa81 - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I believe their logic was that the disparity in quality between the forwards and d-men in the drafts was too great to pass up the forwards. The problem is, you then have to have the skills as a GM to trade for the pieces you need later on. Another problem is that the Oilers are now so unbalanced that even their best forwards aren’t looking so hot these days, which brings down their market value, which makes it harder to trade for the d they so badly need.

7. sampulls - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Good coach
    Bad team

8. steelers88 - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Micasa81.
    I wonder if the Penguins will trade one or two of their young D-men to the Oilers in exchange for Ales Hemsky? The Penguins have so many young talented d-men that they don’t know what do. They have Sammuelson, Matta, Despres, Bortuzzo, Domoulin, and Pouliot. I’m not sure however if they would be willing to give up two of those young defensemen.

• micasa81 - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Well, I was thinking about d-men who are firmly beyond the prospect stage, which would rule out several of the guys you mentioned. That said, yes, the Pens would be a good potential trade partner. But even the Pens, with their load of d prospects, know that the price for these guys is high.

• hosewater2 - Dec 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I’ve watched Pouliot play alot…the Oilers already have Justin Schultz, they don’t need another young D man who can do offense but is only adequate on his best night in his own end.

9. steelers88 - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I think what the Oilers need to do the fans might not want to hear this but they just really need to go back to the drawing board and just rebuild. They need to fire Eakins. The Oilers need to draft defense first and then they can worry about the forwards. I would rather have young great defensemen than young great forwards. I would finally hire Guy Boucher because his a defensive minded head coach and he can relate to the Oilers players because his young as well.

• micasa81 - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM

You can’t decide to fire the coach halfway into their umpteenth dismal season when the previous 3 coaches accomplished nothing more than the current one did. It’s a roster/dressing room issue, and until that is improved, it’s damned near impossible to see how good the coach actually is.

10. nj666 - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM

When is this mickey mouse organization going to get their act together?

• nj666 - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I mean c’mon how many 1st overall picks is it going to take?

11. mildfan - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM

When does the growing start? When do they start to be consistent? Are these kids competitors? Winners get sick of losing and change or adapt there habits until they find a way to win and win often, these kids need to listen to the coach abd maybe they would learn something.

12. steelers88 - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Micasa81.
    The thing is though that Penguins also have guys like Orpik, Martin, and Niskanen. I’m not sure they would want to get rid of those guys either.

• 19to77 - Dec 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Orpik’s still playing well over 20 minutes a night on average, Martin’s emerged as arguably their best D overall and Niskanen’s had to be great these last few games with so many injured defenders. I think all three are no-move players from the Pens’ perspective. Niskanen might not have been at the start of the year, but now? Can’t see them parting with him. Wouldn’t be too shocked if they were willing to move Scuderi for something, but what? Hemsky for Scuderi seems like a bit of a loss for the Oilers, but on the other hand – desperate times, desperate measures…

13. tragicallyripped - Dec 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Hahaha! Speedstickmusk needs to go back to grade 3. It should have read “their”. Nice try little one

• blackhawksdynasty - Dec 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM

^^^wrong^^^
      There’s your admonishment from a poor burger flipper

• titansrbeast - Dec 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM

LOL? No it should not be “their.” It’s they’re (THEY ARE) you f00l. I bet you feel really smart right now, huh? You little rat, go back to playing wizard 101.

• jhaegs - Dec 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Wow kid…. Your so stoopid. Just glad I don’t half too here you to ;)

• gmailfan57 - Dec 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I believe you meant “you’re” as in you are. Glass houses.

• jhaegs - Dec 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Dear lord, if that is the only problem you saw with my comment, then we have a serious issue here. Borderline “I shouldn’t make fun of you” issue…

14. proudliberal85392 - Dec 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM

No goaltending. No D. Other than that, they’re not bad.

15. slysipops - Dec 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM

EAKINS MIGHT TELL THE OILIES ?…………….

16. pastabelly - Dec 22, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Don’t understand going with a rookie coach with so many young players. The have some talent, but it’s just above average, with not many two way players or defenseman. GM needs to trade some young talent for more complete players.

17. proudliberal85392 - Dec 22, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Nail Yakupov’s tantrums. Guess he forgot that he’s not Messier, Gretzky, and Coffey rolled into one.

• hosewater2 - Dec 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM

“Ry-an Mur-ray”

18. gmailfan57 - Dec 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Maybe next year the Oilers might look at an anchor on defense instead of the latest flashy goal scorer.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches