Dec 22, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Last night, the Edmonton Oilers lost their sixth straight game, a 6-0 shutout loss to the St. Louis Blues.
For a team that’s lost a lot this season, seeing the streak run to six games is a new low. The Oilers have had three separate five-game losing skids, but this is the first time a streak has gone past that and for first year head coach Dallas Eakins he’s had about enough of it.
“I’ve had enough misery already,” Eakins said. “There has to be a change in the commitment level and accountability.”
Any rookie coach dealing with a losing situation is going to find things difficult, but the issues with the Oilers are something else. If this keeps up, we’re all going to wind up feeling real bad for the guy, especially since the talent level of the team shows that they should be much better than this.
Yet here we are looking at the likelihood of the Oilers missing the playoffs for the eighth season in a row.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53