Dec 22, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Last night, the Edmonton Oilers lost their sixth straight game, a 6-0 shutout loss to the St. Louis Blues.
For a team that’s lost a lot this season, seeing the streak run to six games is a new low. The Oilers have had three separate five-game losing skids, but this is the first time a streak has gone past that and for first year head coach Dallas Eakins he’s had about enough of it.
“I’ve had enough misery already,” Eakins said. “There has to be a change in the commitment level and accountability.”
Any rookie coach dealing with a losing situation is going to find things difficult, but the issues with the Oilers are something else. If this keeps up, we’re all going to wind up feeling real bad for the guy, especially since the talent level of the team shows that they should be much better than this.
Yet here we are looking at the likelihood of the Oilers missing the playoffs for the eighth season in a row.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)