Dec 22, 2013, 10:53 PM EDT
For the Minnesota Wild, Sunday’s game against the New York Rangers started off well enough, turned bad and got worse.
The night was capped off with a forgettable goal. Rangers’ forward Chris Kreider fanned on his wrist shot but Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom whiffed on the puck, which slid through his legs into the net.
That gave New York a three-goal lead in the third period. This one was over.
The Wild, however, have been in a funk for a while now. Scoring has become a major issue. The Wild have 87 goals-for, and, according to Chad Graff of the Pioneer Press, Minnesota has scored only 23 times in their last 15 games.
In the Western Conference, only the Nashville Predators have fewer goals-for, with 83.
After opening the scoring, the offence seemed to dry up from Minnesota’s perspective. They managed only 14 shots through the final 40 minutes of play.
“You can tell that confidence is shaken right now with individuals and as a group,” said Wild head coach Mike Yeo, according to Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
“When they scored the first goal, we tightened up a little bit. When they scored the second goal, we tightened up completely.”
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 8
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)