Dec 21, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth entered the 2013-14 season hoping to challenge Braden Holtby for the starting job in Washington. Instead the rise of 22-year-old netminder Philipp Grubauer has made even Neuvirth’s position as the team’s backup seem uncertain.
“I don’t know what’s the plan,” Neuvirth told CSN Washington. “They haven’t really talked to me. I’ve just gone day by day and I work hard in practice.
“Like I said, I want to be a No. 1 goalie in this league and if not here maybe somewhere else.”
Neuvirth’s lack of playing time seems to have also cost him a spot on the Czech Republic’s Olympic team. Although he’s one of just three Czech-born goalies that has played in at least five NHL games this season, the squad as told him that they’re going to explore their options from the KHL.
Neuvirth is in the first season of a two-year, $5 million contract. The 25-year-old is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent for the first time once that deal expires.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)