Dec 21, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth entered the 2013-14 season hoping to challenge Braden Holtby for the starting job in Washington. Instead the rise of 22-year-old netminder Philipp Grubauer has made even Neuvirth’s position as the team’s backup seem uncertain.
“I don’t know what’s the plan,” Neuvirth told CSN Washington. “They haven’t really talked to me. I’ve just gone day by day and I work hard in practice.
“Like I said, I want to be a No. 1 goalie in this league and if not here maybe somewhere else.”
Neuvirth’s lack of playing time seems to have also cost him a spot on the Czech Republic’s Olympic team. Although he’s one of just three Czech-born goalies that has played in at least five NHL games this season, the squad as told him that they’re going to explore their options from the KHL.
Neuvirth is in the first season of a two-year, $5 million contract. The 25-year-old is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent for the first time once that deal expires.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)