Dec 21, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators selected Antoine Vermette in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft, but he hasn’t played for them since the 2008-09 campaign. Still, as the Coyotes pointed out, he hadn’t managed to find the back of the net against his former club. Until today that is.
Phoenix’s Antoine Vermette scored in the second period, but the Senators still held a 3-2 lead after 40 minutes. It wasn’t until he netted a power-play goal with just 2:13 minutes remaining in regulation time that the contest was tied.
With the match in overtime, Vermette completed his hat trick at 2:23 of the overtime period.
Phoenix’s 4-3 victory snapped their three-game losing streak to help them improve to 19-10-6 this season. That puts them just one point shy of the Minnesota Wild and the second Wild Card spot, which isn’t a bad spot to be in considering the Coyotes have played in two fewer contests.
Meanwhile, the Senators have now suffered three straight defeats and are 14-17-7 this season. That consolation point will help them though in their own struggle to make the playoffs.
— Phoenix Coyotes (@phoenixcoyotes) December 21, 2013
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 0
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)