Dec 21, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators selected Antoine Vermette in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft, but he hasn’t played for them since the 2008-09 campaign. Still, as the Coyotes pointed out, he hadn’t managed to find the back of the net against his former club. Until today that is.
Phoenix’s Antoine Vermette scored in the second period, but the Senators still held a 3-2 lead after 40 minutes. It wasn’t until he netted a power-play goal with just 2:13 minutes remaining in regulation time that the contest was tied.
With the match in overtime, Vermette completed his hat trick at 2:23 of the overtime period.
Phoenix’s 4-3 victory snapped their three-game losing streak to help them improve to 19-10-6 this season. That puts them just one point shy of the Minnesota Wild and the second Wild Card spot, which isn’t a bad spot to be in considering the Coyotes have played in two fewer contests.
Meanwhile, the Senators have now suffered three straight defeats and are 14-17-7 this season. That consolation point will help them though in their own struggle to make the playoffs.
— Phoenix Coyotes (@phoenixcoyotes) December 21, 2013
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 50
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (141)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)