Dec 21, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators selected Antoine Vermette in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft, but he hasn’t played for them since the 2008-09 campaign. Still, as the Coyotes pointed out, he hadn’t managed to find the back of the net against his former club. Until today that is.
Phoenix’s Antoine Vermette scored in the second period, but the Senators still held a 3-2 lead after 40 minutes. It wasn’t until he netted a power-play goal with just 2:13 minutes remaining in regulation time that the contest was tied.
With the match in overtime, Vermette completed his hat trick at 2:23 of the overtime period.
Phoenix’s 4-3 victory snapped their three-game losing streak to help them improve to 19-10-6 this season. That puts them just one point shy of the Minnesota Wild and the second Wild Card spot, which isn’t a bad spot to be in considering the Coyotes have played in two fewer contests.
Meanwhile, the Senators have now suffered three straight defeats and are 14-17-7 this season. That consolation point will help them though in their own struggle to make the playoffs.
— Phoenix Coyotes (@phoenixcoyotes) December 21, 2013
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)