Dec 21, 2013, 11:42 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings broke a big slump against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday, the same night that the second episode of HBO’s 24/7 series on the 2014 Winter Classic aired.
Detroit’s 5-4 shootout win ended an 11-game losing streak in the “skills competition” that stretches back to last season (including an 0-6 mark in 2013-14 before this victory), as MLive.com points out.
Sure, they haven’t been the prettiest wins against the most dominant of teams, but the Red Wings probably won’t complain too much about two consecutive wins – both beyond regulation – after dropping six in a row in often frustrating ways. They’re now 17-12-9 on the season, with Jonas Gustavsson grabbing 10 of those wins.
While the Red Wings are seemingly regaining their footing, the Maple Leafs’ stumbles continue. They’ve lost three of four and six of eight contests. They also only have two regulation wins since Nov. 19.
It’s the kind of hockey that can make anyone a little camera-shy, although Detroit can testify that it’s also possible to turn things around even as things look bleak.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)