Dec 21, 2013, 11:42 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings broke a big slump against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday, the same night that the second episode of HBO’s 24/7 series on the 2014 Winter Classic aired.
Detroit’s 5-4 shootout win ended an 11-game losing streak in the “skills competition” that stretches back to last season (including an 0-6 mark in 2013-14 before this victory), as MLive.com points out.
Sure, they haven’t been the prettiest wins against the most dominant of teams, but the Red Wings probably won’t complain too much about two consecutive wins – both beyond regulation – after dropping six in a row in often frustrating ways. They’re now 17-12-9 on the season, with Jonas Gustavsson grabbing 10 of those wins.
While the Red Wings are seemingly regaining their footing, the Maple Leafs’ stumbles continue. They’ve lost three of four and six of eight contests. They also only have two regulation wins since Nov. 19.
It’s the kind of hockey that can make anyone a little camera-shy, although Detroit can testify that it’s also possible to turn things around even as things look bleak.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)