Dec 21, 2013, 11:42 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings broke a big slump against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday, the same night that the second episode of HBO’s 24/7 series on the 2014 Winter Classic aired.
Detroit’s 5-4 shootout win ended an 11-game losing streak in the “skills competition” that stretches back to last season (including an 0-6 mark in 2013-14 before this victory), as MLive.com points out.
Sure, they haven’t been the prettiest wins against the most dominant of teams, but the Red Wings probably won’t complain too much about two consecutive wins – both beyond regulation – after dropping six in a row in often frustrating ways. They’re now 17-12-9 on the season, with Jonas Gustavsson grabbing 10 of those wins.
While the Red Wings are seemingly regaining their footing, the Maple Leafs’ stumbles continue. They’ve lost three of four and six of eight contests. They also only have two regulation wins since Nov. 19.
It’s the kind of hockey that can make anyone a little camera-shy, although Detroit can testify that it’s also possible to turn things around even as things look bleak.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (100)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)