Dec 21, 2013, 8:04 PM EDT
Nashville Predators rookie Seth Jones took a one-timer to the face from Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov on Saturday, producing a scary moment. On the bright side, he was able to skate off the ice under his own power (with a little help from a trainer).
Update: the Predators announced that he won’t return. The Predators fell to the Habs 4-3 in OT.
The bit of bad luck happened right at the end of the first period, so it’s unclear how serious the issue might be. (There’s no video of the incident yet.)
This punctuates a rough night for Nashville and a rough stretch of games for Jones, 19.
After making the whole “top-duo NHL defenseman” thing look pretty easy to start things off, Jones has seen his role and output diminish as of late. He’s gone from averaging 25:08 time on ice in October to 22:23 in November and all the way down to 16:04 this month.
Despite those troubles, the Predators obviously think highly about the fourth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, so the hope is that this is just a minor issue.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)