Dec 21, 2013, 8:04 PM EDT
Nashville Predators rookie Seth Jones took a one-timer to the face from Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov on Saturday, producing a scary moment. On the bright side, he was able to skate off the ice under his own power (with a little help from a trainer).
Update: the Predators announced that he won’t return. The Predators fell to the Habs 4-3 in OT.
The bit of bad luck happened right at the end of the first period, so it’s unclear how serious the issue might be. (There’s no video of the incident yet.)
This punctuates a rough night for Nashville and a rough stretch of games for Jones, 19.
After making the whole “top-duo NHL defenseman” thing look pretty easy to start things off, Jones has seen his role and output diminish as of late. He’s gone from averaging 25:08 time on ice in October to 22:23 in November and all the way down to 16:04 this month.
Despite those troubles, the Predators obviously think highly about the fourth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, so the hope is that this is just a minor issue.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)