Dec 21, 2013, 8:04 PM EST
Nashville Predators rookie Seth Jones took a one-timer to the face from Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov on Saturday, producing a scary moment. On the bright side, he was able to skate off the ice under his own power (with a little help from a trainer).
Update: the Predators announced that he won’t return. The Predators fell to the Habs 4-3 in OT.
The bit of bad luck happened right at the end of the first period, so it’s unclear how serious the issue might be. (There’s no video of the incident yet.)
This punctuates a rough night for Nashville and a rough stretch of games for Jones, 19.
After making the whole “top-duo NHL defenseman” thing look pretty easy to start things off, Jones has seen his role and output diminish as of late. He’s gone from averaging 25:08 time on ice in October to 22:23 in November and all the way down to 16:04 this month.
Despite those troubles, the Predators obviously think highly about the fourth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, so the hope is that this is just a minor issue.
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)