Dec 21, 2013, 8:04 PM EST
Nashville Predators rookie Seth Jones took a one-timer to the face from Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov on Saturday, producing a scary moment. On the bright side, he was able to skate off the ice under his own power (with a little help from a trainer).
Update: the Predators announced that he won’t return. The Predators fell to the Habs 4-3 in OT.
The bit of bad luck happened right at the end of the first period, so it’s unclear how serious the issue might be. (There’s no video of the incident yet.)
This punctuates a rough night for Nashville and a rough stretch of games for Jones, 19.
After making the whole “top-duo NHL defenseman” thing look pretty easy to start things off, Jones has seen his role and output diminish as of late. He’s gone from averaging 25:08 time on ice in October to 22:23 in November and all the way down to 16:04 this month.
Despite those troubles, the Predators obviously think highly about the fourth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, so the hope is that this is just a minor issue.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 21
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)