Dec 21, 2013, 8:04 PM EDT
Nashville Predators rookie Seth Jones took a one-timer to the face from Montreal Canadiens defenseman Andrei Markov on Saturday, producing a scary moment. On the bright side, he was able to skate off the ice under his own power (with a little help from a trainer).
Update: the Predators announced that he won’t return. The Predators fell to the Habs 4-3 in OT.
The bit of bad luck happened right at the end of the first period, so it’s unclear how serious the issue might be. (There’s no video of the incident yet.)
This punctuates a rough night for Nashville and a rough stretch of games for Jones, 19.
After making the whole “top-duo NHL defenseman” thing look pretty easy to start things off, Jones has seen his role and output diminish as of late. He’s gone from averaging 25:08 time on ice in October to 22:23 in November and all the way down to 16:04 this month.
Despite those troubles, the Predators obviously think highly about the fourth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, so the hope is that this is just a minor issue.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54