Dec 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers offense seems to have woken up just in time for goaltender Steve Mason to go cold. He’s allowed 10 goals in his last three starts and has a 3.23 GAA and .890 save percentage in eight contests this month.
“Last month I had an extremely sharp game and it hasn’t been sharp in recent games and we’ve gone over a lot of video and (goalie coach Jeff Reeese) has reinforced it’s still a very simple game,” Mason told CSN Philly.
It’s not unusual for a good goaltender to have a bad month, but with Mason every rough patch is a source of dread. Although he’s been great with the Philadelphia Flyers, he’s still not that far removed from his years of struggles with the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Mason insists his confidence hasn’t suffered and he’s still gotten at least a point out of each of his last five starts.
“There’s no panic going on,” Reeese said. “We want to get him back to being consistent. That’s what we are looking for.”
Ray Emery will play between the pipes against the Blue Jackets tonight while Mason is expected to start on Monday versus Minnesota.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)