Dec 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers offense seems to have woken up just in time for goaltender Steve Mason to go cold. He’s allowed 10 goals in his last three starts and has a 3.23 GAA and .890 save percentage in eight contests this month.
“Last month I had an extremely sharp game and it hasn’t been sharp in recent games and we’ve gone over a lot of video and (goalie coach Jeff Reeese) has reinforced it’s still a very simple game,” Mason told CSN Philly.
It’s not unusual for a good goaltender to have a bad month, but with Mason every rough patch is a source of dread. Although he’s been great with the Philadelphia Flyers, he’s still not that far removed from his years of struggles with the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Mason insists his confidence hasn’t suffered and he’s still gotten at least a point out of each of his last five starts.
“There’s no panic going on,” Reeese said. “We want to get him back to being consistent. That’s what we are looking for.”
Ray Emery will play between the pipes against the Blue Jackets tonight while Mason is expected to start on Monday versus Minnesota.
- Jordan Staal needs help off the ice in Canes’ preseason game 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)