Dec 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers offense seems to have woken up just in time for goaltender Steve Mason to go cold. He’s allowed 10 goals in his last three starts and has a 3.23 GAA and .890 save percentage in eight contests this month.
“Last month I had an extremely sharp game and it hasn’t been sharp in recent games and we’ve gone over a lot of video and (goalie coach Jeff Reeese) has reinforced it’s still a very simple game,” Mason told CSN Philly.
It’s not unusual for a good goaltender to have a bad month, but with Mason every rough patch is a source of dread. Although he’s been great with the Philadelphia Flyers, he’s still not that far removed from his years of struggles with the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Mason insists his confidence hasn’t suffered and he’s still gotten at least a point out of each of his last five starts.
“There’s no panic going on,” Reeese said. “We want to get him back to being consistent. That’s what we are looking for.”
Ray Emery will play between the pipes against the Blue Jackets tonight while Mason is expected to start on Monday versus Minnesota.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)