Dec 21, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
Is Martin Jones‘ red-hot start all about his own talent or the support he receives from the strong team in front of him?
One could argue both sides, but the Los Angeles Kings probably don’t care, as the young goalie improved to 8-0-0 thanks to a 3-2 shootout win against the Colorado Avalanche on Saturday.
Jones tied an NHL record by winning his first eight regular season games in the same season, sharing a mark with Bob Froese (who did so in 1982-83). Ray Emery stretched nine straight decisions over a larger frame, accounting for a separate record that’s also in Jones’ reach.
He still hasn’t had an ugly game yet, either. Colorado beat him twice on 25 shots, so the 23-year-old has allowed eight goals in eight games played. His GAA is still a shade below 1.00, however, as this game went beyond regulation. His save percentage “dropped” to an unsustainable .966 mark with this win.
Jeff Carter and Justin Williams gave the Kings a 2-0 lead early in the second period, but Colorado produced two power-play goals (Jones has only yieled four even-strength goals so far this season) to send the game to OT.
Impressively, Matt Duchene remains almost as hot as Jones; he has 12 points in his last six games and a four-game multi-point streak (two goals, seven assists) going.
It wasn’t enough to beat the Kings, however. Los Angeles improves to 26-7-5 while Colorado falls to 23-10-3 on the season.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 11
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 9
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 94
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)