Dec 21, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
Is Martin Jones‘ red-hot start all about his own talent or the support he receives from the strong team in front of him?
One could argue both sides, but the Los Angeles Kings probably don’t care, as the young goalie improved to 8-0-0 thanks to a 3-2 shootout win against the Colorado Avalanche on Saturday.
Jones tied an NHL record by winning his first eight regular season games in the same season, sharing a mark with Bob Froese (who did so in 1982-83). Ray Emery stretched nine straight decisions over a larger frame, accounting for a separate record that’s also in Jones’ reach.
He still hasn’t had an ugly game yet, either. Colorado beat him twice on 25 shots, so the 23-year-old has allowed eight goals in eight games played. His GAA is still a shade below 1.00, however, as this game went beyond regulation. His save percentage “dropped” to an unsustainable .966 mark with this win.
Jeff Carter and Justin Williams gave the Kings a 2-0 lead early in the second period, but Colorado produced two power-play goals (Jones has only yieled four even-strength goals so far this season) to send the game to OT.
Impressively, Matt Duchene remains almost as hot as Jones; he has 12 points in his last six games and a four-game multi-point streak (two goals, seven assists) going.
It wasn’t enough to beat the Kings, however. Los Angeles improves to 26-7-5 while Colorado falls to 23-10-3 on the season.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)