Dec 21, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
Is Martin Jones‘ red-hot start all about his own talent or the support he receives from the strong team in front of him?
One could argue both sides, but the Los Angeles Kings probably don’t care, as the young goalie improved to 8-0-0 thanks to a 3-2 shootout win against the Colorado Avalanche on Saturday.
Jones tied an NHL record by winning his first eight regular season games in the same season, sharing a mark with Bob Froese (who did so in 1982-83). Ray Emery stretched nine straight decisions over a larger frame, accounting for a separate record that’s also in Jones’ reach.
He still hasn’t had an ugly game yet, either. Colorado beat him twice on 25 shots, so the 23-year-old has allowed eight goals in eight games played. His GAA is still a shade below 1.00, however, as this game went beyond regulation. His save percentage “dropped” to an unsustainable .966 mark with this win.
Jeff Carter and Justin Williams gave the Kings a 2-0 lead early in the second period, but Colorado produced two power-play goals (Jones has only yieled four even-strength goals so far this season) to send the game to OT.
Impressively, Matt Duchene remains almost as hot as Jones; he has 12 points in his last six games and a four-game multi-point streak (two goals, seven assists) going.
It wasn’t enough to beat the Kings, however. Los Angeles improves to 26-7-5 while Colorado falls to 23-10-3 on the season.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)