Dec 21, 2013, 7:34 PM EDT
Is Martin Jones‘ red-hot start all about his own talent or the support he receives from the strong team in front of him?
One could argue both sides, but the Los Angeles Kings probably don’t care, as the young goalie improved to 8-0-0 thanks to a 3-2 shootout win against the Colorado Avalanche on Saturday.
Jones tied an NHL record by winning his first eight regular season games in the same season, sharing a mark with Bob Froese (who did so in 1982-83). Ray Emery stretched nine straight decisions over a larger frame, accounting for a separate record that’s also in Jones’ reach.
He still hasn’t had an ugly game yet, either. Colorado beat him twice on 25 shots, so the 23-year-old has allowed eight goals in eight games played. His GAA is still a shade below 1.00, however, as this game went beyond regulation. His save percentage “dropped” to an unsustainable .966 mark with this win.
Jeff Carter and Justin Williams gave the Kings a 2-0 lead early in the second period, but Colorado produced two power-play goals (Jones has only yieled four even-strength goals so far this season) to send the game to OT.
Impressively, Matt Duchene remains almost as hot as Jones; he has 12 points in his last six games and a four-game multi-point streak (two goals, seven assists) going.
It wasn’t enough to beat the Kings, however. Los Angeles improves to 26-7-5 while Colorado falls to 23-10-3 on the season.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)