Dec 21, 2013, 8:26 PM EDT
If you were to make a time capsule for Marian Gaborik‘s career, Dec. 21, 2013 might just be it. In his return from an injury that claimed 17 games, Gaborik collected an assist on Saturday … and then suffered a broken collarbone. He’ll be out indefinitely.
The injury came thanks to a hit by Philadelphia Flyers tough guy Zac Rinaldo. Here’s video of the play:
The Columbus Blue Jackets have lost three game in a row and were likely just starting to look on the bright side, as Gaborik returned tonight and Nathan Horton was showing signs of actually playing for his new team. Now the offensively average (at best?) team must go without their 31-year-old catalyst for an unclear – but likely lengthy – amount of time.
It’s a big loss for Columbus and also for Slovakia, a mid-level Olympic team that could surely use his sniping.
Gaborik could stand to lose a lot of money, too, as he’s in a contract year that’s been borderline disastrous. It’s reasonable to ask if he’s seen his last bit of action in Columbus thanks to this awful bit of luck.
Update: At least Blue Jackets fans can take solace in a win: they topped the Flyers 6-3 tonight.
- Report: Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 0
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 23
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 53
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)