Dec 21, 2013, 8:26 PM EDT
If you were to make a time capsule for Marian Gaborik‘s career, Dec. 21, 2013 might just be it. In his return from an injury that claimed 17 games, Gaborik collected an assist on Saturday … and then suffered a broken collarbone. He’ll be out indefinitely.
The injury came thanks to a hit by Philadelphia Flyers tough guy Zac Rinaldo. Here’s video of the play:
The Columbus Blue Jackets have lost three game in a row and were likely just starting to look on the bright side, as Gaborik returned tonight and Nathan Horton was showing signs of actually playing for his new team. Now the offensively average (at best?) team must go without their 31-year-old catalyst for an unclear – but likely lengthy – amount of time.
It’s a big loss for Columbus and also for Slovakia, a mid-level Olympic team that could surely use his sniping.
Gaborik could stand to lose a lot of money, too, as he’s in a contract year that’s been borderline disastrous. It’s reasonable to ask if he’s seen his last bit of action in Columbus thanks to this awful bit of luck.
Update: At least Blue Jackets fans can take solace in a win: they topped the Flyers 6-3 tonight.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)