Dec 21, 2013, 10:48 PM EDT
Ryan Getzlaf is having a season to remember, and so are the Anaheim Ducks.
His hat trick helped his team set a franchise-record eight straight wins by topping the New York Islanders 5-3 on Saturday.
The 28-year-old now has 19 goals and 43 points in 35 games this season, providing a resounding argument for a ticket to Sochi.
His team is enjoying the kind of success it hasn’t seen since Chris Pronger and Scott Niedermayer roved the blueline. The Ducks’ 26-7-5 start is the club’s second best start over 38 games; only the 2006-2007 championship began on a bigger roll (27-5-6).
On the other end of the spectrum, the Islanders merely hope to avoid making history. They’ve lost three of their last four games to fall to 10-20-7.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 17
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 78
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 35
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 60
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7