Dec 21, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss hasn’t played since Dec. 10 due to a groin injury and he’s likely to miss at least two more weeks. It might prove to be significantly longer than that though, based on a report from the Detroit News.
The X-Factor is that Weiss’ doctor has recommended that he undergoes surgery. If he goes that route, then he would probably be available after the Olympic break.
Alternatively, he might decide to wait and attempt to play through the injury. It’s worth adding that this is his second stint on the sidelines due to a groin injury after missing six games in November.
Weiss is expected to make a decision in the next couple of days. After inking a five-year, $24.5 million contract over the summer, he has just four points in 26 contests.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)