Dec 21, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss hasn’t played since Dec. 10 due to a groin injury and he’s likely to miss at least two more weeks. It might prove to be significantly longer than that though, based on a report from the Detroit News.
The X-Factor is that Weiss’ doctor has recommended that he undergoes surgery. If he goes that route, then he would probably be available after the Olympic break.
Alternatively, he might decide to wait and attempt to play through the injury. It’s worth adding that this is his second stint on the sidelines due to a groin injury after missing six games in November.
Weiss is expected to make a decision in the next couple of days. After inking a five-year, $24.5 million contract over the summer, he has just four points in 26 contests.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7