Dec 21, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Just a few days ago, everything seemed to be going New Jersey Devils forward Damien Brunner‘s way. Before Friday’s contest, he had four goals and six points in his last four games and was talking about his regained confidence.
Then he was involved in a knee-on-knee collision with Anaheim Ducks defenseman Mark Fistric last night.
“He’ll be out a minimum of four weeks,” Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told the Star-Ledger. “He does not need surgery.”
There’s no such thing as a good injury, but the timing is just as unfortunate for the Devils as it is for Brunner.
The team has struggled offensively, but they were close to getting a boost from the imminent return of forward Ryane Clowe (concussion). That combined with Brunner’s elevation in play might have been enough to give them an edge in the tight battle for third place in the Metropolitan Division.
New Jersey will round out its pre-Christmas schedule with road contests against the Washington Capitals tonight and the Chicago Blackhawks on Monday.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)