Dec 21, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Just a few days ago, everything seemed to be going New Jersey Devils forward Damien Brunner‘s way. Before Friday’s contest, he had four goals and six points in his last four games and was talking about his regained confidence.
Then he was involved in a knee-on-knee collision with Anaheim Ducks defenseman Mark Fistric last night.
“He’ll be out a minimum of four weeks,” Devils GM Lou Lamoriello told the Star-Ledger. “He does not need surgery.”
There’s no such thing as a good injury, but the timing is just as unfortunate for the Devils as it is for Brunner.
The team has struggled offensively, but they were close to getting a boost from the imminent return of forward Ryane Clowe (concussion). That combined with Brunner’s elevation in play might have been enough to give them an edge in the tight battle for third place in the Metropolitan Division.
New Jersey will round out its pre-Christmas schedule with road contests against the Washington Capitals tonight and the Chicago Blackhawks on Monday.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)