Dec 21, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins have set the standard when it comes to overcoming injuries this season. Of course, their formula of having a spare superstar in case one goes down isn’t particularly easy to emulate.
He scored his 20th goal of the season and added two assists en route to a 4-3 victory over the Calgary Flames this afternoon. He’s leading the league with 54 points in 38 games, which puts him on pace for about 116 points this season.
Unfortunately for the Flames, they lost more than two points. Forward Curtis Glencross reportedly suffered another knee problem while defenseman Kris Russell sustained a lower-body injury, according to the Flames.
Either one of those injuries would be a big loss for a team that’s playoff hopes already look bleak. Meanwhile, the Penguins are opening up a huge lead in the race for the Metropolitan Division title, which might make things a lot less stressful for them in the second half of the season.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 27
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 14
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)