Dec 21, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Despite Ken Hitchcock’s hints of a more extended stay on the shelf, David Backes will return against the Edmonton Oilers on Saturday after sitting out two games with a concussion.
Backes provided the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford with an amusing (and holiday season-appropriate) assessment of Hitchock’s incorrect diagnosis:
“If you listen to everything that big jolly man says, you’re in for a whirlwind,” Backes said.
( … There’s just so much to love in that quote.)
While the Blues will face former teammate David Perron with some significant players injured, he’ll get to mix it up with St. Louis’ 29-year-old captain. Considering the strong starts both rugged forwards have enjoyed, it could be a pretty explosive reunion.
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 0
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 26
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 28
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)