Dec 21, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Despite Ken Hitchcock’s hints of a more extended stay on the shelf, David Backes will return against the Edmonton Oilers on Saturday after sitting out two games with a concussion.
Backes provided the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford with an amusing (and holiday season-appropriate) assessment of Hitchock’s incorrect diagnosis:
“If you listen to everything that big jolly man says, you’re in for a whirlwind,” Backes said.
( … There’s just so much to love in that quote.)
While the Blues will face former teammate David Perron with some significant players injured, he’ll get to mix it up with St. Louis’ 29-year-old captain. Considering the strong starts both rugged forwards have enjoyed, it could be a pretty explosive reunion.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)