Dec 21, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Despite Ken Hitchcock’s hints of a more extended stay on the shelf, David Backes will return against the Edmonton Oilers on Saturday after sitting out two games with a concussion.
Backes provided the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford with an amusing (and holiday season-appropriate) assessment of Hitchock’s incorrect diagnosis:
“If you listen to everything that big jolly man says, you’re in for a whirlwind,” Backes said.
( … There’s just so much to love in that quote.)
While the Blues will face former teammate David Perron with some significant players injured, he’ll get to mix it up with St. Louis’ 29-year-old captain. Considering the strong starts both rugged forwards have enjoyed, it could be a pretty explosive reunion.
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 4
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30