Dec 21, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Despite Ken Hitchcock’s hints of a more extended stay on the shelf, David Backes will return against the Edmonton Oilers on Saturday after sitting out two games with a concussion.
Backes provided the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford with an amusing (and holiday season-appropriate) assessment of Hitchock’s incorrect diagnosis:
“If you listen to everything that big jolly man says, you’re in for a whirlwind,” Backes said.
( … There’s just so much to love in that quote.)
While the Blues will face former teammate David Perron with some significant players injured, he’ll get to mix it up with St. Louis’ 29-year-old captain. Considering the strong starts both rugged forwards have enjoyed, it could be a pretty explosive reunion.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)