Dec 21, 2013, 6:33 PM EST
Despite Ken Hitchcock’s hints of a more extended stay on the shelf, David Backes will return against the Edmonton Oilers on Saturday after sitting out two games with a concussion.
Backes provided the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford with an amusing (and holiday season-appropriate) assessment of Hitchock’s incorrect diagnosis:
“If you listen to everything that big jolly man says, you’re in for a whirlwind,” Backes said.
( … There’s just so much to love in that quote.)
While the Blues will face former teammate David Perron with some significant players injured, he’ll get to mix it up with St. Louis’ 29-year-old captain. Considering the strong starts both rugged forwards have enjoyed, it could be a pretty explosive reunion.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5