Dec 21, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Going into the season it looked like there would be a fierce battle for the three goaltending spots on the United States’ Olympic team, but Tampa Bay Lightning netminder Ben Bishop wouldn’t be a major part of that competition.
At this point though, it wouldn’t be surprising if his name is called on Jan. 1 when Team USA makes their announcement. He might not have the most impressive resume, but among goalies born in the United States, he currently leads the pack with a 1.96 GAA and .934 save percentage in 26 starts.
“We have a goaltender that has won a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe award (Jonathan Quick), our 2010 Olympic goalie (Ryan Miller), and we have other goalies that are doing unbelievable this year, and that includes Ben Bishop,” Team USA GM David Poile said, according to the Tampa Tribune.
“So I’m sure we are going to be making decisions that are going to upset some people at the end of the day, but we are just trying to do the best we can.”
It seems all but certain that Miller will make the squad and Quick is also a safe bet even as he nurses a groin injury. However, with Jimmy Howard and Craig Anderson playing below expectations, Bishop’s biggest rival for that final spot might be Cory Schneider.
In the meantime, Bishop will continue to serve as Tampa Bay’s starting goaltender as they battle for the Atlantic Division title despite the loss of Steven Stamkos.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 0
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 7
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11