Dec 20, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
A great skater who put up 30 points in his rookie season, 23-year-old defenseman Jake Gardiner is a tantalizing talent. And according to TSN’s Darren Dreger, the Toronto Maple Leafs are likely to trade him.
“I think there’s a better chance of him getting traded, just because of the continued interest,” Dreger said this morning on TSN 1050 radio (audio). “At some point, I think that Toronto’s needs are going to equal what teams are going to be willing to pay.
“Since the start of the season until now, the asking price has been very high, and we know what it is – it’s a top-six forward.
“But I think [general manager] Dave Nonis would also consider a flip of defense. It’s going to have to be a quality defenseman, because if he’s considering trading Jake Gardiner, then he needs something very, very good in return.”
One team that Dreger knows has interest is the New York Rangers. (Though apparently general manager Glen Sather may covet Cody Franson more, if only because Franson shoots right and Gardiner shoots left.)
Assuming Toronto re-signs captain Dion Phaneuf (not guaranteed, but reportedly headed that way), it’s possible that Nonis could deem Gardiner expendable, particularly with 19-year-old Morgan Rielly showing a lot of promise in his rookie season.
But Gardiner has a lot of fans, particularly among the proponents of the so-called “advanced stats,” who point to his strong possession numbers, at least compared to the rest of his teammates.
Per CapGeek, here’s what the Leafs’ blue-line looks like right now:
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)