Dec 20, 2013, 11:07 AM EST
“It’s tough,” Thornton said. “I don’t know how long he’s gonna go out for — I didn’t see the play, but I know he’s going to be out for a little bit.”
The incident occurred late in the first period, forcing Hertl from the game entirely. Brown, the Kings captain, was given a five-minute kneeing major and game misconduct on the hit:
Following the game, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter was still upset with the penalty, which he believed was a blown call.
“That is not the right call,” Sutter said, as per LA Kings Insider. “Clear. No more questions about it. I saw it live and I saw two or three replays.
“It’s not the right call.”
This isn’t the first time Hertl’s been on the receiving end of a big check this season. Back in early October, he was shook up on a high hit from Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler, who was suspended three games for his actions.
No word yet if Brown will be facing supplemental discipline.
Update: From Czech TV Nova reporter Roman Jedlicka…
#SJSharks Tomas Hertl should be one month without hockey. Good source. Bad for Czech hockey team, bad for Calder Trophy…
— Roman Jedlicka (@jedli) December 20, 2013
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 21
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 20
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 45
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9