Dec 20, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT
“It’s tough,” Thornton said. “I don’t know how long he’s gonna go out for — I didn’t see the play, but I know he’s going to be out for a little bit.”
The incident occurred late in the first period, forcing Hertl from the game entirely. Brown, the Kings captain, was given a five-minute kneeing major and game misconduct on the hit:
Following the game, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter was still upset with the penalty, which he believed was a blown call.
“That is not the right call,” Sutter said, as per LA Kings Insider. “Clear. No more questions about it. I saw it live and I saw two or three replays.
“It’s not the right call.”
This isn’t the first time Hertl’s been on the receiving end of a big check this season. Back in early October, he was shook up on a high hit from Vancouver defenseman Alex Edler, who was suspended three games for his actions.
No word yet if Brown will be facing supplemental discipline.
Update: From Czech TV Nova reporter Roman Jedlicka…
#SJSharks Tomas Hertl should be one month without hockey. Good source. Bad for Czech hockey team, bad for Calder Trophy…
— Roman Jedlicka (@jedli) December 20, 2013
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 103
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 49
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63