Dec 20, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have patched things together with inexperienced backups Carter Hutton and Marek Mazanec, but fans were probably hoping for a more optimistic Pekka Rinne update on Friday. Instead, the team announced that it will take at least two more weeks for him to ramp up his rehab from a frightening hip infection.
The hope was that the 31-year-old would be able to begin more “strenuous activity” beginning today, but instead, he’ll stick with limited activity for now.
Despite that dour news, the Predators also insisted that Rinne hasn’t experienced any setbacks.
However, as we have realized and learned throughout this process, the recovery and rehabilitation from a bacterial infection does not involve a specific timetable. It does come with a degree of uncertainty.
To that end, and in taking every possible precaution to insure the bacterial infection is managed and controlled with a goal of returning Pekka to full strength, the doctors have recommended Pekka remain on limited activity for two weeks before considering more strenuous activity in his recovery and rehabilitation.
The Predators said they’ll monitor him daily and provide “frequent updates as warranted.”
Beyond the immediate implications for the up-and-down Predators, there’s also the question of the 2014 Winter Olympics. With Finland’s wealth of options in net, one cannot help but question whether the highly paid netminder will be able to make it to Sochi.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)