Dec 20, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have patched things together with inexperienced backups Carter Hutton and Marek Mazanec, but fans were probably hoping for a more optimistic Pekka Rinne update on Friday. Instead, the team announced that it will take at least two more weeks for him to ramp up his rehab from a frightening hip infection.
The hope was that the 31-year-old would be able to begin more “strenuous activity” beginning today, but instead, he’ll stick with limited activity for now.
Despite that dour news, the Predators also insisted that Rinne hasn’t experienced any setbacks.
However, as we have realized and learned throughout this process, the recovery and rehabilitation from a bacterial infection does not involve a specific timetable. It does come with a degree of uncertainty.
To that end, and in taking every possible precaution to insure the bacterial infection is managed and controlled with a goal of returning Pekka to full strength, the doctors have recommended Pekka remain on limited activity for two weeks before considering more strenuous activity in his recovery and rehabilitation.
The Predators said they’ll monitor him daily and provide “frequent updates as warranted.”
Beyond the immediate implications for the up-and-down Predators, there’s also the question of the 2014 Winter Olympics. With Finland’s wealth of options in net, one cannot help but question whether the highly paid netminder will be able to make it to Sochi.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)