Dec 20, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
The Nashville Predators have patched things together with inexperienced backups Carter Hutton and Marek Mazanec, but fans were probably hoping for a more optimistic Pekka Rinne update on Friday. Instead, the team announced that it will take at least two more weeks for him to ramp up his rehab from a frightening hip infection.
The hope was that the 31-year-old would be able to begin more “strenuous activity” beginning today, but instead, he’ll stick with limited activity for now.
Despite that dour news, the Predators also insisted that Rinne hasn’t experienced any setbacks.
However, as we have realized and learned throughout this process, the recovery and rehabilitation from a bacterial infection does not involve a specific timetable. It does come with a degree of uncertainty.
To that end, and in taking every possible precaution to insure the bacterial infection is managed and controlled with a goal of returning Pekka to full strength, the doctors have recommended Pekka remain on limited activity for two weeks before considering more strenuous activity in his recovery and rehabilitation.
The Predators said they’ll monitor him daily and provide “frequent updates as warranted.”
Beyond the immediate implications for the up-and-down Predators, there’s also the question of the 2014 Winter Olympics. With Finland’s wealth of options in net, one cannot help but question whether the highly paid netminder will be able to make it to Sochi.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 6
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46