Dec 20, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
The Nashville Predators have patched things together with inexperienced backups Carter Hutton and Marek Mazanec, but fans were probably hoping for a more optimistic Pekka Rinne update on Friday. Instead, the team announced that it will take at least two more weeks for him to ramp up his rehab from a frightening hip infection.
The hope was that the 31-year-old would be able to begin more “strenuous activity” beginning today, but instead, he’ll stick with limited activity for now.
Despite that dour news, the Predators also insisted that Rinne hasn’t experienced any setbacks.
However, as we have realized and learned throughout this process, the recovery and rehabilitation from a bacterial infection does not involve a specific timetable. It does come with a degree of uncertainty.
To that end, and in taking every possible precaution to insure the bacterial infection is managed and controlled with a goal of returning Pekka to full strength, the doctors have recommended Pekka remain on limited activity for two weeks before considering more strenuous activity in his recovery and rehabilitation.
The Predators said they’ll monitor him daily and provide “frequent updates as warranted.”
Beyond the immediate implications for the up-and-down Predators, there’s also the question of the 2014 Winter Olympics. With Finland’s wealth of options in net, one cannot help but question whether the highly paid netminder will be able to make it to Sochi.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)