Report: No fine or suspension for Dustin Brown

Dec 20, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT

BrownSutter Getty Images

The NHL won’t fine or suspend Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown for kneeing San Jose Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl on Thursday, the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott reports.

Brown, 29, adamantly believes that officials got the call wrong by giving him a game misconduct and five-minute major. The league hasn’t gone as far as to rescind the penalty, however, according to Elliott.

There’s still some uncertainty regarding how much time Hertl, 20, might miss, but some estimates call for a month or more.

Despite being one of the league’s most frequent hitters, Brown only has one suspension (two games in April) on his record.

Here’s video of the hit:

1. sjsharks66 - Dec 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Put another check mark in the “accident” column.

• polegojim - Dec 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM

And this truly WAS an accident, not even remotely intentional nor objectionable.

However, I do strongly object to that thing on his face that barely resembles a beard. Unless its the playoffs… if you really can’t grow it… shave it Dustin.

2. jhaegs - Dec 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Dustin Brown was an accident…

• ron05342 - Dec 21, 2013 at 4:45 AM

You sir, are a moron.

Please tell me where your comments reflects on hockey whatsoever, moron.

3. namriverrat69 - Dec 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM

It is about time. It took the league long enough to reach the correct decision. I hope Hertl comes back very soon.

• sabatimus - Dec 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM

The league still hasn’t reached the correct decision.

4. joey4id - Dec 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Hi. My name is Joey, and I approve the league’s decision. Never did Brown lead with his knee or extend his leg, as clearly written in the NHL Rule Book under rule 50. You just can’t make up the rules on the fly because a player on your team was injured or because you don’t like the perp.

• sjsharks66 - Dec 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM

What part do you not understand? It’s scary how hard it is for you to understand why people wanted a suspension. These “accidents” will keep happening until the league does something. One of these days Brown is going to end someones career with a cheap shot like this. I hope it’s not someone on your team, because I would hate to read about how your tune would change then.

• joey4id - Dec 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM

and there in lies the difference between you and me. for you it’s about your team, whereas for me it’s about the rule in the book as it is written and how it applies to the incident. you are clearly bias, but me, I don’t have a specific team I cheer for which allows me to remain objective.

• blomfeld - Dec 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Hi. My name is Blomfeld and I approve the league’s decision too ! :)

Friends, I spoke with my old friend Stransky earlier today (physicist and expert in forensic causation analysis) by phone from Karl Marx Stadt, and he stated that he was of the opinion that Dustin Brown did absolutely ‘nothing’ wrong on this play. In fact, Stransky said that any ‘reasonable & just’ court of law would likely find both parties (Brown and Hertl) equally to blame 50/50 based on the premise of ‘mutual’ involuntary negligence. However he went on to say that just prior to the collision, Hertl was ‘unmistakably’ behaving in a manner which was consistent with the notion of ‘invitation to treat’ (from the Latin phrase ‘invitatio ad offerendum’ meaning ‘inviting an offer’ or attempting to invoke). For the record, Stransky also agreed with the NHL’s decision to ‘stand down’ from levying any sort of fine or suspension to Captain Dustin Brown.

• polegojim - Dec 21, 2013 at 9:52 AM

While I’m completely convinced this was an accident… I’m equally convinced that Stransky’s use of Forensic Causation Analysis is in the past.

• polegojim - Dec 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Hi. My name is Jim and I approve Joey’s message.

• joey4id - Dec 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM

:-)

5. sjsharks66 - Dec 20, 2013 at 11:16 PM

If you have no specific team to cheer for then how can you comprehend how die hard fans feel when a player who constantly throws cheap hits pulls one against a top line player??

There lies the difference between you and everyone else on PHT. I’m not just saying to suspend him for his hit on Hertl. I have posted ( along with other PHT commenters ) videos of Brown throwing cheap shots and receiving no punishment. While the other team loses a player to injury.

• cybernetikghost - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:57 AM

The problem mostly lies in the fact that you only see fault in your opponents. Just a guess though…

• joey4id - Dec 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I comprehend exactly how die hard fans feel, which is why I constantly reference the facts to rationalize an incident. Those facts are contained in the rue book and CBA, Die hard fans let their bias and emotions guide their rationalization, which completely eliminates any and all objectivity.

6. gp424 - Dec 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I think we all understand know that the league has two set of standards. One for teams such as the Sharks and for teams such as the Kings. Image if Raffi Torres had made the exact same hit on Dustin Brown? What do you think happens? But now reserve it back to the original Brown hit its okay? Yeah right.

The Kings could literary kill a player and the league would ignore it because them along with Pittsburgh and Chicago are the leagues darlings.

• cybernetikghost - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Raffi Torres and Dustin Brown aren’t in the same class, they just aren’t. No matter how much you hate the Kings, Raffi Torres really can’t be matched.

• comeonnowguys - Dec 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM

What’s disheartening is that seven people disagreed with you.

• namriverrat69 - Dec 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM

The 45 years before the Kings won the Cup there weren’t that many complaints about them. Now that they’ve won the Cup the jealously comes out of the woodwork.

Every team has a feisty player like Dustin Brown. You hate him on the opposing team but you love him on your own. I remember disliking Dave Schultz and Tiger Williams for years until they came to the Kings. It seemed hypocritical to me at first thought. Then I said “forget about it’!! Welcome to my team.

Brown does push the envelope sometimes. Top players do. He is always in the top 3 or so in hits every year since he came into the league. That is the style of game he plays and leads the Kings as Captain. As a rookie at 18 he would mix it up with anyone. He reminded me of a rookie Kelly Buchberger back in the day whose Edmonton team was losing to the Kings 5-1 late in the game with about 5 minutes left. Kelly threw his gloves down and started a fight with Marty McSorley. He didn’t win the fight but he was making a statement to inspire his team not to lay down. When is the last time a Shark made a statement like that?

The Kings own the Sharks. You can whine and blame Brown all you want for your teams shortcomings. It won’t change the fact that you can’t win big games.

7. ynothockey - Dec 21, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Are you kidding me? How many times is Brown going to get away with sticking out his knee before they finally suspend this this dbag?!

• ron05342 - Dec 21, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Perhaps you need to review the video again without the hate. He clearly does NOT stick out his knee.

8. gcbean - Dec 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Looks like the San Jose dude led with his knee just as much as Brown did. Suspend him for being the stupid one that hurt himself.

• sjsharks66 - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Lead with his knee while playing the puck? Not only can Hertl score goals but he can knee people while moving the puck down the ice. No wonder this kid is rookie of the year so far.

• cybernetikghost - Dec 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM

You really can’t see the angle of his knee?

9. jcinc2013 - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:22 AM

The funny part about any one who has not played the game at the speed in which the nhl is played at is that you have know idea at how fast the play happens and to sit back in your Monday morning quarterback chair and post comments about a situation that you will never have the mental capacity to understand is just as amusing as the fact that you thought this was a dirty hit. Completely over looking the fact that sj had twice as many opportunities on the power play as the kings and still when home empty handed. Quit blaming everyone else for the endemic team that shows up to the play offs year after year and still fails to get the job done.

• cup612 - Dec 21, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Right on! Easier for some people to make a comment stating Brown is a dbag when there are far worst dbags in the league. Take Thornton for example. If Orpik was really a good friend, why would he attack the guy when the play was already stopped and continued to assault him when Orpik was already down on the ice. Now that’s a DIRTY hit. Yes, Brown is a physical player, but I don’t feel he intentionally goes out of his way to hurt other players.

• sporkov - Dec 21, 2013 at 4:36 AM

What Thornton did was more wrong than this hit by Brown because it was simply assault. The problem is that Brown continually commits these illegal hits and there are no real consequences for him. He will end or damage someones career and the league will have that on their hands.

10. ocaptainmycaptain19 - Dec 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Although this particular hit wasn’t dirty, I find it suspicious that Brown is linked to all these “accidental” hits. Sooner or later the league is going to have to take an look and say, “you have been linked to too many ‘accidents’ so we are going to suspend you”. They can’t just carry on with letting him do these reckless plays.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches