Dec 20, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
From the “only out of Philadelphia” file comes this beauty, from Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch:
Sources have told The Dispatch that the blockbuster trade swung between the Blue Jackets and Flyers on June 23, 2011, could have been much larger in scope, perhaps in a way that would have assuaged [Jeff] Carter’s feelings toward playing for the Blue Jackets.
After weeks of haggling between Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and then-Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson – did the Jackets want Carter or Mike Richards? would the Jackets include a prospect, first-round pick, and maybe another decent pick? – the two sides began to narrow in on a deal that would send promising left wing Jake Voracek, a first-round pick, and a third-round pick to the Flyers for the veteran Carter.
Holmgren hemmed and hawed for a few days until GMs began showing up in St. Paul and Minneapolis for the draft.
Holmgren called Howson the day before the draft in the morning to tell him he was ready to make the move, but not before he dropped a bombshell on Howson’s lap, one that staggered him and forced him to sit down:
“You want ‘em both?” Holmgren asked Howson, meaning Carter and Richards.
While the Jackets might’ve wanted both, they could not afford it — at least according to Howson (who, it should be noted, declined to comment on the report.)
Undeterred, Howson still managed to swing the Carter deal — in exchange for Jakub Voracek and the eighth overall pick at the ’11 draft — and Holmgren was able to ship Richards to LA (on the same day, no less) in exchange for Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds.
The Carter era in Columbus wasn’t great. He did score 15 goals and 25 points in 39 games for the Jackets, but seemed lukewarm on the idea of sticking in Columbus and was flipped to Los Angeles at the ’12 trade deadline for Jack Johnson and a first-round pick.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 4
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)