Dec 20, 2013, 11:55 AM EST
From the “only out of Philadelphia” file comes this beauty, from Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch:
Sources have told The Dispatch that the blockbuster trade swung between the Blue Jackets and Flyers on June 23, 2011, could have been much larger in scope, perhaps in a way that would have assuaged [Jeff] Carter’s feelings toward playing for the Blue Jackets.
After weeks of haggling between Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren and then-Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson – did the Jackets want Carter or Mike Richards? would the Jackets include a prospect, first-round pick, and maybe another decent pick? – the two sides began to narrow in on a deal that would send promising left wing Jake Voracek, a first-round pick, and a third-round pick to the Flyers for the veteran Carter.
Holmgren hemmed and hawed for a few days until GMs began showing up in St. Paul and Minneapolis for the draft.
Holmgren called Howson the day before the draft in the morning to tell him he was ready to make the move, but not before he dropped a bombshell on Howson’s lap, one that staggered him and forced him to sit down:
“You want ‘em both?” Holmgren asked Howson, meaning Carter and Richards.
While the Jackets might’ve wanted both, they could not afford it — at least according to Howson (who, it should be noted, declined to comment on the report.)
Undeterred, Howson still managed to swing the Carter deal — in exchange for Jakub Voracek and the eighth overall pick at the ’11 draft — and Holmgren was able to ship Richards to LA (on the same day, no less) in exchange for Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds.
The Carter era in Columbus wasn’t great. He did score 15 goals and 25 points in 39 games for the Jackets, but seemed lukewarm on the idea of sticking in Columbus and was flipped to Los Angeles at the ’12 trade deadline for Jack Johnson and a first-round pick.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 81
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)