Dec 20, 2013, 9:36 AM EDT
Pavel Kubina, who won the Stanley Cup in 2004 and played in 970 NHL games, has decided to hang up his skates.
“Making my way to the NHL and playing in the best league in the world for 13 seasons has been a dream come true,” Kubina said, courtesy of the NHLPA.
“I will be forever grateful for the experiences and friendships that I have gained over the course of my career, including capturing the Stanley Cup in Tampa in 2004. Thank you to Phil Esposito for drafting me and giving me a chance to play for the Lightning. I also would like to thank my family and friends for their support throughout my hockey journey.”
Kubina was originally taken by the Tampa Bay Lightning with the 179th overall pick in the 1996 NHL Entry. Starting with the 2000-01 campaign, Kubina recorded at least 30 points in seven of nine seasons. Overall, the defenseman had 110 goals, 386 points, and 1,123 penalty minutes with Tampa Bay, the Toronto Maple Leafs, Atlanta Thrashers, and Philadelphia Flyers.
He also played for the Czech Republic in the 2002, 2006, and 2010 Winter Olympics and earned a bronze medal in 2006. His final NHL campaign was 2011-12, but he attempted to extend his career by signing with Geneve Servette of the Swiss League. He ended up playing in just three contests.
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 0
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 8
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 23
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)