Dec 20, 2013, 9:36 AM EST
Pavel Kubina, who won the Stanley Cup in 2004 and played in 970 NHL games, has decided to hang up his skates.
“Making my way to the NHL and playing in the best league in the world for 13 seasons has been a dream come true,” Kubina said, courtesy of the NHLPA.
“I will be forever grateful for the experiences and friendships that I have gained over the course of my career, including capturing the Stanley Cup in Tampa in 2004. Thank you to Phil Esposito for drafting me and giving me a chance to play for the Lightning. I also would like to thank my family and friends for their support throughout my hockey journey.”
Kubina was originally taken by the Tampa Bay Lightning with the 179th overall pick in the 1996 NHL Entry. Starting with the 2000-01 campaign, Kubina recorded at least 30 points in seven of nine seasons. Overall, the defenseman had 110 goals, 386 points, and 1,123 penalty minutes with Tampa Bay, the Toronto Maple Leafs, Atlanta Thrashers, and Philadelphia Flyers.
He also played for the Czech Republic in the 2002, 2006, and 2010 Winter Olympics and earned a bronze medal in 2006. His final NHL campaign was 2011-12, but he attempted to extend his career by signing with Geneve Servette of the Swiss League. He ended up playing in just three contests.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 15
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 110
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (111)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)