Dec 20, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
Last night in Dallas, the Vancouver Canucks suffered their first regulation defeat since Nov. 30.
Not one of the Canucks played particularly well in the 4-1 loss to the Stars, but one of them was especially hard on himself after the game.
“That third goal I gave up there was a back-breaker for our guys,” goalie Roberto Luongo said, per the Vancouver Sun. “It was a wrister, I stopped it with my glove and it kind of just fell down and I think it might have fallen between my legs or something and it just trickled in. Whatever it is, it’s an inexcusable goal at that point of the game.”
Here’s the goal, by the Stars’ Erik Cole:
Luongo was eventually replaced by backup Eddie Lack, who seems the favorite to get the start tonight in Chicago.
Canucks coach John Tortorella admitted that the Cole goal “hurt,” but he didn’t put it all on his netminder.
“We couldn’t score,” he said. “The third one hurt us a bit, but we have some power plays to get us back in and we don’t get it done.”
With the four goals he surrendered on 19 shots, Luongo’s save percentage dropped to a still-respectable .919 on the season.
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 4
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 1
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)