Dec 20, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
This has been a dark season for the New York Islanders, but if the “misery loves company” line is true, they don’t need to look far. Their neighbors and rivals the New York Rangers aren’t faring much better, a point that was emphasized in the Isles’ 5-3 win on Friday.
This season’s realization that Henrik Lundqvist‘s life isn’t totally perfect continued, too, as evidenced by his dour quote to the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross.
“There’s no question we beat ourselves,” Lundqvist said. “We made some simple mistakes and I was not there to clean it up in the first.”
/Imagines Lundqvist and John McEnroe’s band switching to emo songs.
The Islanders won their first regulation game since Nov. 12 and just their fourth overall in that span. Meanwhile, the Rangers have just one win in their last seven contests.
It makes sense, then, that New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple would drop this “Seinfeld” reference about the two recently hapless teams:
That game was the hockey equivalent of the debate between Jerry and George over who’s the bigger idiot. Not anyone’s finest moment.
— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) December 21, 2013
At some point, these teams must become masters of their own domain …
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)