Dec 20, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
The red-hot Florida Panthers (yeah, sounds weird) won their fifth straight last night in Ottawa, and once again they had veteran goalie Scott Clemmensen to thank for a big part of the victory.
Clemmensen stopped 32 of the 34 shots the Senators registered, as the Panthers fought back from a 2-1 deficit to win 4-2. For the 36-year-old, it was his fourth straight solid start, a stretch in which he’s posted a save percentage of .943.
”He has been good, he’s been rock solid,” said coach Peter Horachek, per the Miami Herald. “He’s made the saves we’ve needed him to make. He keeps us in the games, stays in control. Now that he’s been playing, he looks comfortable. Timing is important.”
Clemmensen’s resurgence comes on the heels of a nightmare 2013 season that ended with a save percentage of .874 in 19 appearances. That stat put him dead last in the NHL among regular starters.
It’s also come with Tim Thomas on injured reserve with a lower-body injury.
Clemmensen is a pending unrestricted free agent — one that might be extending his NHL career, if he can keep it up.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)