Dec 20, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
The red-hot Florida Panthers (yeah, sounds weird) won their fifth straight last night in Ottawa, and once again they had veteran goalie Scott Clemmensen to thank for a big part of the victory.
Clemmensen stopped 32 of the 34 shots the Senators registered, as the Panthers fought back from a 2-1 deficit to win 4-2. For the 36-year-old, it was his fourth straight solid start, a stretch in which he’s posted a save percentage of .943.
”He has been good, he’s been rock solid,” said coach Peter Horachek, per the Miami Herald. “He’s made the saves we’ve needed him to make. He keeps us in the games, stays in control. Now that he’s been playing, he looks comfortable. Timing is important.”
Clemmensen’s resurgence comes on the heels of a nightmare 2013 season that ended with a save percentage of .874 in 19 appearances. That stat put him dead last in the NHL among regular starters.
It’s also come with Tim Thomas on injured reserve with a lower-body injury.
Clemmensen is a pending unrestricted free agent — one that might be extending his NHL career, if he can keep it up.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 20
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 11
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)