Dec 20, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
The red-hot Florida Panthers (yeah, sounds weird) won their fifth straight last night in Ottawa, and once again they had veteran goalie Scott Clemmensen to thank for a big part of the victory.
Clemmensen stopped 32 of the 34 shots the Senators registered, as the Panthers fought back from a 2-1 deficit to win 4-2. For the 36-year-old, it was his fourth straight solid start, a stretch in which he’s posted a save percentage of .943.
”He has been good, he’s been rock solid,” said coach Peter Horachek, per the Miami Herald. “He’s made the saves we’ve needed him to make. He keeps us in the games, stays in control. Now that he’s been playing, he looks comfortable. Timing is important.”
Clemmensen’s resurgence comes on the heels of a nightmare 2013 season that ended with a save percentage of .874 in 19 appearances. That stat put him dead last in the NHL among regular starters.
It’s also come with Tim Thomas on injured reserve with a lower-body injury.
Clemmensen is a pending unrestricted free agent — one that might be extending his NHL career, if he can keep it up.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)