Dec 20, 2013, 1:19 AM EDT
While Patrick Marleau rudely ruined Martin Jones‘ chance for a fourth shutout in seven games, the Los Angeles Kings rookie goalie’s hot start continues. He’s now 7-0-0 thanks to a 4-1 win against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday.
The 23-year-old hasn’t even allowed a goal per game. After stopping 31 out of 32 shots tonight, he’s now made 203 out of 209 saves (translating to a .971 save percentage) in this dream-like start to his NHL career.
Jones was very close to the goose egg, too, as Marleau’s goal came with just 2:10 remaining in the contest.
It’s unlikely Jones or the Kings will be complaining much, though. They’ve now won eight out of nine games to push their record to 24-8-4 (52 points) on the season. They’re generating some value breathing room in front of the Sharks, who are now 21-8-6 (48 points) on the year.
They don’t have the longest winning streak by any means, but if you go with a big picture argument regarding the NHL’s hottest teams, the Kings have to be in that debate. There’s really no contest regarding Jones being the hottest goalie of the moment, though.
Thursday’s other big story from the game: Dustin Brown gets ejected for kneeing Tomas Hertl
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)