Dec 20, 2013, 1:19 AM EDT
While Patrick Marleau rudely ruined Martin Jones‘ chance for a fourth shutout in seven games, the Los Angeles Kings rookie goalie’s hot start continues. He’s now 7-0-0 thanks to a 4-1 win against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday.
The 23-year-old hasn’t even allowed a goal per game. After stopping 31 out of 32 shots tonight, he’s now made 203 out of 209 saves (translating to a .971 save percentage) in this dream-like start to his NHL career.
Jones was very close to the goose egg, too, as Marleau’s goal came with just 2:10 remaining in the contest.
It’s unlikely Jones or the Kings will be complaining much, though. They’ve now won eight out of nine games to push their record to 24-8-4 (52 points) on the season. They’re generating some value breathing room in front of the Sharks, who are now 21-8-6 (48 points) on the year.
They don’t have the longest winning streak by any means, but if you go with a big picture argument regarding the NHL’s hottest teams, the Kings have to be in that debate. There’s really no contest regarding Jones being the hottest goalie of the moment, though.
Thursday’s other big story from the game: Dustin Brown gets ejected for kneeing Tomas Hertl
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)