Dec 20, 2013, 1:19 AM EDT
While Patrick Marleau rudely ruined Martin Jones‘ chance for a fourth shutout in seven games, the Los Angeles Kings rookie goalie’s hot start continues. He’s now 7-0-0 thanks to a 4-1 win against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday.
The 23-year-old hasn’t even allowed a goal per game. After stopping 31 out of 32 shots tonight, he’s now made 203 out of 209 saves (translating to a .971 save percentage) in this dream-like start to his NHL career.
Jones was very close to the goose egg, too, as Marleau’s goal came with just 2:10 remaining in the contest.
It’s unlikely Jones or the Kings will be complaining much, though. They’ve now won eight out of nine games to push their record to 24-8-4 (52 points) on the season. They’re generating some value breathing room in front of the Sharks, who are now 21-8-6 (48 points) on the year.
They don’t have the longest winning streak by any means, but if you go with a big picture argument regarding the NHL’s hottest teams, the Kings have to be in that debate. There’s really no contest regarding Jones being the hottest goalie of the moment, though.
Thursday’s other big story from the game: Dustin Brown gets ejected for kneeing Tomas Hertl
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 9
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 68
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (84)