Dec 20, 2013, 1:19 AM EDT
While Patrick Marleau rudely ruined Martin Jones‘ chance for a fourth shutout in seven games, the Los Angeles Kings rookie goalie’s hot start continues. He’s now 7-0-0 thanks to a 4-1 win against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday.
The 23-year-old hasn’t even allowed a goal per game. After stopping 31 out of 32 shots tonight, he’s now made 203 out of 209 saves (translating to a .971 save percentage) in this dream-like start to his NHL career.
Jones was very close to the goose egg, too, as Marleau’s goal came with just 2:10 remaining in the contest.
It’s unlikely Jones or the Kings will be complaining much, though. They’ve now won eight out of nine games to push their record to 24-8-4 (52 points) on the season. They’re generating some value breathing room in front of the Sharks, who are now 21-8-6 (48 points) on the year.
They don’t have the longest winning streak by any means, but if you go with a big picture argument regarding the NHL’s hottest teams, the Kings have to be in that debate. There’s really no contest regarding Jones being the hottest goalie of the moment, though.
Thursday’s other big story from the game: Dustin Brown gets ejected for kneeing Tomas Hertl
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 17
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)