Dec 20, 2013, 1:19 AM EDT
While Patrick Marleau rudely ruined Martin Jones‘ chance for a fourth shutout in seven games, the Los Angeles Kings rookie goalie’s hot start continues. He’s now 7-0-0 thanks to a 4-1 win against the San Jose Sharks on Thursday.
The 23-year-old hasn’t even allowed a goal per game. After stopping 31 out of 32 shots tonight, he’s now made 203 out of 209 saves (translating to a .971 save percentage) in this dream-like start to his NHL career.
Jones was very close to the goose egg, too, as Marleau’s goal came with just 2:10 remaining in the contest.
It’s unlikely Jones or the Kings will be complaining much, though. They’ve now won eight out of nine games to push their record to 24-8-4 (52 points) on the season. They’re generating some value breathing room in front of the Sharks, who are now 21-8-6 (48 points) on the year.
They don’t have the longest winning streak by any means, but if you go with a big picture argument regarding the NHL’s hottest teams, the Kings have to be in that debate. There’s really no contest regarding Jones being the hottest goalie of the moment, though.
Thursday’s other big story from the game: Dustin Brown gets ejected for kneeing Tomas Hertl
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)