Dec 20, 2013, 7:53 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils forward Damien Brunner needed help off the ice and couldn’t put weight on his right leg after a knee-to-knee collision with Anaheim Ducks defenseman Mark Fistric, according to various reporters including the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
Details are a little sketchy, but Gulitti describes the incident as their two knees colliding, which might indicate that this is accidental (and not of the controversial variety). Fistric didn’t receive a penalty on the play, for one thing.
(Video will be added if/when it’s available, which should give a better clue as to the incident.)
It would be a shame regardless of context, but this potential loss stings more because Brunner, 27, seemed to be coming into his own for New Jersey. Five of his 13 points came during a four-game stretch heading into Friday’s game against the Ducks.
For what it’s worth, Fistric, 27, does have one suspension on his record. He sat three games back in Dec. 2011, according to the Hockey News’ records.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)