Dec 20, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Basically, what Burke suggested was a rule where a defender approaching a puck-carrier along the boards could wrap his arms around said puck-carrier in order to take him into the boards. While that would be holding as the rules are currently written, the goal was to avoid dangerous hits from behind, of which we’ve seen quite a few recently in the NHL.
On Tuesday, Burke reiterated the virtues of his bear-hug idea.
“We have players turning right back into the defensemen when he’s already committed to the hit,” the Flames’ acting general manger said, per the Calgary Herald. “There’s nothing he can do.
“We have to put the bear-hug rule back through so that the defenseman can grab him and take him into the glass.”
Granted, with new rules, unintended consequences almost always follow. Does the NHL really want players bear-hugging each other as soon as the play goes to the boards? How would the rule be written? What would be the limits?
Even with all the boarding and hitting-from-behind suspensions that have been handed down in the past couple of weeks, the bear-hug rule seems like a long shot to be adopted by the NHL.
It’s an idea though.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 22
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)