Brown: Refs got kneeing call ‘wrong’; Hertl out indefinitely

Dec 20, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT

kneetokneebrownhertl

Dustin Brown says the five-minute kneeing major and game misconduct called on him during last night’s win over San Jose was incorrect.

I think it’s wrong,” Brown told LA Kings Insider of his collision with Sharks forward Tomas Hertl. “I understand why they call it. It happens really fast. The refs don’t have the benefit of watching a replay, but I think the replay clearly shows me trying to avoid. It’s one of those where we’re kind of on the same tracks and deciding which way to go.

“I mean, it happens quick on the ice, but the replay shows I’m trying to get out of the way.”

Brown went on to add that “I’m just as much as risk in that play as he is,” before re-iterating that he was trying to avoid Hertl.

There’s be no word yet if Brown will receive supplemental discipline for the hit, or if the league will rescind the game misconduct.

As for Hertl, the news isn’t good.

Various reports surfaced on Friday that he’d be out one month — including one claiming he told his dad that’s how long he’d be out for — but Sharks head coach Todd McLellan said it was too early to tell.

Hertl currently leads all rookies in goals (15) and points (25), while averaging 15:19 TOI per game.

1. sjsblitz - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Brown wont get suspended, he’d suffer from FOMOP: Fear Of Missing Out on Potato

2. thailer35 - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

If Brown keeps up his questionable play and keeps running his mouth this way, he’s going to end up getting seriously injured. Take the roenick, hatcher, madano incident for example. It’s going to catch him eventually.

3. sjsharks66 - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM

“I’m just as much as risk in that play as he is,” yet somehow never gets hurt on these “accidents”. He is always on the giving end and not receiving end of these “accidents”.

• joey4id - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

maybe he’s not as soft as Hertl.

• blomfeld - Dec 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM

with all kidding aside Joey, that’s ‘exactly’ what this boils down to …

• ethanmacleod1685 - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I know it’s not adding up, brown put himself in that situation. Yes, he clearly tried to get out of the way, but he took way too long to do it, probably because he realised he might hurt himself

4. r4n6er - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

If it was indeed an accident then he would be as much at risk. However, when you bend your knee into the hit and are braced (because you are intending on doing it) there is almost no risk. I have seen this guy do this again and again. He hits dirty all the time and he will get his one day.

• joey4id - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM

that was not a dirty hit. heck it wasn’t even a hit. it was a collision. he deserved the 2 game suspension for elbowing Pominville. for the rest you guys are just whiners.

• blomfeld - Dec 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM

you tell ‘em Joey !!! :)

5. sjsharks66 - Dec 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM

The only one whining is you Joey. Everyone agrees Brown is a POS and you keep whining for his innocence.

• mcflower29 - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:20 PM

b1tch plz…considering you live in san jose, you know best when it comes to whining, both literally and ..well…”literally”

• sjsblitz - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM

you have proof he lives in San Jose how?

• mcflower29 - Dec 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM

1) that’s my bro stupid :P
        2) what fan outside of sj would actually like the sharks?

• sjsharks66 - Dec 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I actually do not live in San Jose. I live about an hour and a half away from the city. I am blacked out from all Sharks games no matter how many channel packages I buy. Forced to watch all games from a pix-elated video feed.

So there goes your “fan outside of SJ would like the Sharks.” comment.

• pirovash88 - Dec 21, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Sjsharks, it’s no wonder you have blurry vision when it comes to “dirty hits” against your team. I’ve always thought it was your teal colored glasses, but now I know it’s because you stream pixelated games from your parents basement, on your laptop.

6. boisehockeyref - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:13 PM

As a ref, I can see from the positi ok n of the back official how he could see it as a bad hit. However it truly was not the right call. I have no dog in this fight, I’m not a fan of either team. My guess will be that there will be no further suspension.

7. peterjohnjoseph - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I’ve never seen a comment section where almost every comment is on the negative side of the thumb ratings, or at the very least even, or one above negative. Usually the popular opinion sways one way or the other. You’re all very indecisive on this. I’m not getting involved. I’ll take my 7 thumbs downs, and walk away from this one with my dignity slightly intact.

• blomfeld - Dec 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Peterjohnjoseph – I’ll have you know friend that ‘indecisiveness” is an alien word for us ‘true’ Kings fans … we love our glorious captain and we thank him dearly for his ‘Nelsonian’ conduct last night !!! :)

GO KINGS GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. shutyourfivehole - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM

It’s Dustin Brown. No such thing as an “accident”.

9. jhaegs - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Brown had about 30ft to pick a different path. It’s not like they both turned into each other and collided. Love how he plays the victim cars in this one. Unfortunately, the victims aren’t the ones that turn around and skate 30ft to initiate contact. Like I’ve said, he’s good at making these look like accidents. Like the swinging elbow during the playoffs… “Oops!”. He had a failed attempt at a knee/elbow combo on Schwartz in the first round…

10. jhaegs - Dec 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM

This is my own video. Enjoy…

11. sporkov - Dec 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Imagine that, Dustin Brown does not understand that his play is dirty and Sutter has the same mindset. Shocking!!!

12. btlpper68 - Dec 20, 2013 at 8:18 PM

By getting out of the way u just made it worse hit him square like a man by moon your leg back all you did was catch him in the knee what you should’ve done was
    Make even contact in the chest

13. btlpper68 - Dec 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Brown always in these “acidental”
    Hits kings just blew a 1 rd draft pick on this bust call him a star on their team when he realy is just a famous overrated fourth line plug. Has all of like 10 points this year is the Vincent Van Gough of cheap shot aristry. Please Team USA keep this embarrassment of the roster in Sochi duster brown never done a damn thing but take star players out of the game in the league on “unfortunate” hits can’t do much of anything else

14. sabatimus - Dec 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Dustin did NOT try to get out of the way. From what I saw it was a shin-on-knee contact. Is he a liar or is he simply stupid?

15. jhaegs - Dec 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM

@sabatimus

I’ll go with the latter…

16. canada2014gold - Dec 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Given his history I have to say it doesn’t matter. Torres gets suspended when he looks at someone wrong. If you have a history you need to be more careful. Sounds like brown is whining, Hertle is a gem, gotta hand it to the sharks scouts.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches