Dec 20, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
Dustin Brown says the five-minute kneeing major and game misconduct called on him during last night’s win over San Jose was incorrect.
I think it’s wrong,” Brown told LA Kings Insider of his collision with Sharks forward Tomas Hertl. “I understand why they call it. It happens really fast. The refs don’t have the benefit of watching a replay, but I think the replay clearly shows me trying to avoid. It’s one of those where we’re kind of on the same tracks and deciding which way to go.
“I mean, it happens quick on the ice, but the replay shows I’m trying to get out of the way.”
Brown went on to add that “I’m just as much as risk in that play as he is,” before re-iterating that he was trying to avoid Hertl.
There’s be no word yet if Brown will receive supplemental discipline for the hit, or if the league will rescind the game misconduct.
As for Hertl, the news isn’t good.
Various reports surfaced on Friday that he’d be out one month — including one claiming he told his dad that’s how long he’d be out for — but Sharks head coach Todd McLellan said it was too early to tell.
McLellan says @tomhertl is still under evaluation for lower body injury, probably not playing before Christmas, it’s up to the docs.
— San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) December 20, 2013
#SJSharks McLellan on Hertl — “Tomas talks to his dad, that’s great. We talk to doctors, trainers, and they’re evaluating things today.”
— Curtis Pashelka (@CurtisPashelka) December 20, 2013
Hertl currently leads all rookies in goals (15) and points (25), while averaging 15:19 TOI per game.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)