Dec 20, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
Dustin Brown says the five-minute kneeing major and game misconduct called on him during last night’s win over San Jose was incorrect.
I think it’s wrong,” Brown told LA Kings Insider of his collision with Sharks forward Tomas Hertl. “I understand why they call it. It happens really fast. The refs don’t have the benefit of watching a replay, but I think the replay clearly shows me trying to avoid. It’s one of those where we’re kind of on the same tracks and deciding which way to go.
“I mean, it happens quick on the ice, but the replay shows I’m trying to get out of the way.”
Brown went on to add that “I’m just as much as risk in that play as he is,” before re-iterating that he was trying to avoid Hertl.
There’s be no word yet if Brown will receive supplemental discipline for the hit, or if the league will rescind the game misconduct.
As for Hertl, the news isn’t good.
Various reports surfaced on Friday that he’d be out one month — including one claiming he told his dad that’s how long he’d be out for — but Sharks head coach Todd McLellan said it was too early to tell.
McLellan says @tomhertl is still under evaluation for lower body injury, probably not playing before Christmas, it’s up to the docs.
— San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) December 20, 2013
#SJSharks McLellan on Hertl — “Tomas talks to his dad, that’s great. We talk to doctors, trainers, and they’re evaluating things today.”
— Curtis Pashelka (@CurtisPashelka) December 20, 2013
Hertl currently leads all rookies in goals (15) and points (25), while averaging 15:19 TOI per game.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 8
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 18
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)