Dec 20, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
Dustin Brown says the five-minute kneeing major and game misconduct called on him during last night’s win over San Jose was incorrect.
I think it’s wrong,” Brown told LA Kings Insider of his collision with Sharks forward Tomas Hertl. “I understand why they call it. It happens really fast. The refs don’t have the benefit of watching a replay, but I think the replay clearly shows me trying to avoid. It’s one of those where we’re kind of on the same tracks and deciding which way to go.
“I mean, it happens quick on the ice, but the replay shows I’m trying to get out of the way.”
Brown went on to add that “I’m just as much as risk in that play as he is,” before re-iterating that he was trying to avoid Hertl.
There’s be no word yet if Brown will receive supplemental discipline for the hit, or if the league will rescind the game misconduct.
As for Hertl, the news isn’t good.
Various reports surfaced on Friday that he’d be out one month — including one claiming he told his dad that’s how long he’d be out for — but Sharks head coach Todd McLellan said it was too early to tell.
McLellan says @tomhertl is still under evaluation for lower body injury, probably not playing before Christmas, it’s up to the docs.
— San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) December 20, 2013
#SJSharks McLellan on Hertl — “Tomas talks to his dad, that’s great. We talk to doctors, trainers, and they’re evaluating things today.”
— Curtis Pashelka (@CurtisPashelka) December 20, 2013
Hertl currently leads all rookies in goals (15) and points (25), while averaging 15:19 TOI per game.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 94
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5