Dec 20, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
Dustin Brown says the five-minute kneeing major and game misconduct called on him during last night’s win over San Jose was incorrect.
I think it’s wrong,” Brown told LA Kings Insider of his collision with Sharks forward Tomas Hertl. “I understand why they call it. It happens really fast. The refs don’t have the benefit of watching a replay, but I think the replay clearly shows me trying to avoid. It’s one of those where we’re kind of on the same tracks and deciding which way to go.
“I mean, it happens quick on the ice, but the replay shows I’m trying to get out of the way.”
Brown went on to add that “I’m just as much as risk in that play as he is,” before re-iterating that he was trying to avoid Hertl.
There’s be no word yet if Brown will receive supplemental discipline for the hit, or if the league will rescind the game misconduct.
As for Hertl, the news isn’t good.
Various reports surfaced on Friday that he’d be out one month — including one claiming he told his dad that’s how long he’d be out for — but Sharks head coach Todd McLellan said it was too early to tell.
McLellan says @tomhertl is still under evaluation for lower body injury, probably not playing before Christmas, it’s up to the docs.
— San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) December 20, 2013
#SJSharks McLellan on Hertl — “Tomas talks to his dad, that’s great. We talk to doctors, trainers, and they’re evaluating things today.”
— Curtis Pashelka (@CurtisPashelka) December 20, 2013
Hertl currently leads all rookies in goals (15) and points (25), while averaging 15:19 TOI per game.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)