Dec 20, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
Assault charges against Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov were dropped on Friday by a Denver judge, at the request of prosecutors who said they couldn’t prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.
“That’s not to say we don’t believe our victim,” district attorney spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough said, per the Denver Post. “It became clear we didn’t have a belief we could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.”
Kimbrough noted that, upon re-interviewing witnesses, interviewers noticed some statements had shifted.
Varlamov, 25, was charged with third-degree assault after originally being arrested for second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault on Oct. 30, following allegations of domestic abuse from his girlfriend.
The more serious kidnapping charge (a Class 4 Felony) was dropped as the DA didn’t feel it could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
Varlamov last appeared in court on Dec. 2 for an “advisement hearing” and never entered a plea to the assault charges. He was expected to do so on Jan. 22.
The Russian netminder hasn’t let his off-ice issues affect his play. He has a 16-8-1 record with a 2.37 GAA and .924 save percentage this year and has won three of his last four starts, including Thursday’s 4-2 win over Edmonton in which he stopped 27 of 29 shots faced.
Varlamov is expected to challenge — and, at this point, is likely the leading candidate — for Russia’s starting goalie gig at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
It helped lead St. Louis to its fourth straight win.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Buffalo hasn’t been so bad lately, despite what the team looks like on paper.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They both desperately need every point they can get.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
His No. 9 ascends to the rafters.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
His latest acquisitions Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick are set to debut Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Sounds like he’ll take his talents to Europe instead.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis earlier this month.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Craig Anderson made 46 saves on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Making a strong first impression in St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Petr Mrazek will backup Jimmy Howard.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Leafs have called up Frazer McLaren.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 3
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 13
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 16
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)