Dec 20, 2013, 9:17 PM EDT
It doesn’t hurt that the 29-year-old is traveling with the Blues and participated in an optional skate today.
“There’s been a little improvement every day and that’s a positive sign,” Backes said. “We’ll see how things transpires here in the next little while. Hopefully I’ll be an ice hockey player again in the near future.”
Backes was banged up by what he described as a less-than-optimal hit by Colin Greening of the Ottawa Senators on Monday. The Blues lost to Ottawa that night and San Jose on Tuesday but bounced back against Montreal on Thursday.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2